A Wet First Half Of Summer

Since Jul 5, OSNW3 has recorded 6.72" of new rainfall. Back to back six inch months have left the property very soggy with a most pungent smell of rotten in some areas. Most days have been hot and humid with abundant sunshine making all shaded spots very popular. This evening, Jul 18, was the most bearable of the past fourteen I can recall with a mostly cloudy sky. It was still humid, but the sun wasn't beating down. Long range forecasts call for more of the same but with a little less precipitation. The WxBrief now includes links for EAA aviation weather information.

(OSNW3 Weather Brief)
(OSNW3 July Observations)

(OSNW3 July 2010 Summary)

(click on graph for the month summary data - it will open a new tab/window)

----

2010 Summer Precip and Temp
Most people in the area are aware of the above average precipitation of late. Putting things in perspective, as of Jul 18, OSNW3's Summer (Jun,Jul,Aug) is currently ranked 16th for the all-time wettest in Oshkosh's history. The significance of this is that Summer is only half through. While the temperature is only two degrees above the average mean, it is on pace to surpass the 47 days above 80° during the most recent warm Summer of 2007.

(Wettest Oshkosh Summers)


(Dog Days Of Summer)


----

Links
Archived Radars and a found Lake Michigan shipwreck news article. Recall the big downpours last week on Jul 14? Our friends in Clayton, WI and Duluth, MN summarize what they dealt with as the storms pushed east. Also, the Preliminary 2009-10 Wisconsin Snowfall Map. More information on this past Winter to come in the weeks ahead.

----

Front Of House
That one "non rain day" away from mow number seven never happened. Our garden is somewhat suffering too. The tomato plants are having a very slow start.

(FOH - Jul 18, 2010)

Comments

  1. OSNW3, Hope the garden recovers, y'all certainly have been blessed with rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SuzieE, my father in-law mentioned to me that TN has been bone dry since the deluge earlier this Spring. I should take a look at your CoCoRaHS data... thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just can't get over just how wet it's been for you up there. Are they giving an explanation for the wet summer in the meteorological chatter boxes? I'd love to do more research on this kind of stuff if I had more time.

    Great links to EAA! The bug's hitting me bad. I'm really wishin I could be there this year.

    Yesterday's storm all but blew over the tomatoes. They're getting pretty heavy, and that wind did a number on them! I've got pictures on today's post.

    Hope you dry out soon! SuzieE: Hope you get some rain down your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Osnw3, I am happy with our rain fall amounts in recent weeks. Our little part of TN is dry for a week or so then wet so it evens out. Frustratingly, During the rippening of our nectarine crop it was too wet so I lost most the fruit to brown rot. Location, location. The week of 4th of July we were at Ft. Campbell KY which borders Northern Middle TN, it was very dry - one day while out in the field doing navigation training , it was 103. Last week while in the Smokies, it was dry at Cades Cove where we camped but one night several storms popped up all around us but not over us.
    Nice video of the clouds.
    Wxwatcher hope the tomatoes recover. I have seen dryer times - 2007

    ReplyDelete
  5. quite wet in my part of Wisconsin as well! I have gotten well over 5 inches of rain so far this July. I think it's safe to say were out of the drought! but not we actually have standing water in some fields, which has not had time to drain for weeks becuase we continue to get at least 2 storms a week, nearly off of them so far came with a Severe Thunderstorm Warning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SuzieE, I remember 2007. I spent a lot of time outside that year. I believe we went through somewhat of a drought that year, but I'll have to check my records. Off the top of my head, I know we hit 100 degrees multiple times. With the last recorded 100+ to date being August 16, 2007.

    Hope the tomatoes recover for you. Mine are limping from the recent wind storm that hit Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WxWatcher, the skies are cloudless but filled with planes. Large and small. Not more than 10 minutes pass without the sounds of engines in the sky. My daughter is loving the sights and sounds.

    SuzieE, I think we're losing out tomatoes to the rot.

    D, it's been an exciting Summer in both of our locations. I actually have some photos to share...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment