A Summer-like Late May

Hot and steamy were the operative words across most of the region the early part of this week. In my opinion, the temps and dew points between May 23 and May 26 proved to be just what the doctor ordered. The heat and humidity does wonders for my skin, my short game, and my thirst for quality brews. Keep it coming, please. However, thanks to a cold front that dropped through the Great Lakes, the month will end on a more comfortable note and we will again be able to open the windows and enjoy the outside air, inside. Looking forward, the first part of June is forecast to be seasonal.

(OSNW3 Weather Brief)
(OSNW3 May Observations)

(OSNW3 May 2010 Summary)

(click on graph for the month summary data - it will open a new tab/window)

----

Dog Days of May?
The recent heat wave provided a few days that I like to define as "dog days". Somewhat similar to the "Winter Duration" formula I compare "Summer" (May-Sep) min and max temperatures. It is reasonable to conclude that if our max temp exceeded 80 and our min temp stayed above 65 on any given day, that it was a hot and humid day. Below are graphical representations of "Dog Days" since 2007 at OSNW3.



(OSNW3 - Dog Days thru May 27, 2010)


(OSNW3 - 2009 Dog Days)


(OSNW3 - 2008 Dog Days)


(OSNW3 - 2007 Dog Days)


On a side note, since 1893, Oshkosh has endured streaks of 25+ days where the maximum temperature was 80+ degrees 8 times; 1908, 1919, 1921, 1930, 1963, 1966, 1983, and 1988. The longest streak took place in 1921, Jun 16 thru Jul 31, a whopping 46 days. During that period the average max temp was 90.7 and the average min temp was 66.5. It's average was a "dog day" by definition. Talk about hot.

----

Precipitation
Over the past two weeks we've had minimal precipitation with just three days recording measurable amounts. However, here at OSNW3 we did surpass the official Oshkosh monthly average for the first time ever. Precipitation recording began at OSNW3 in November of 2006.

(OSNW3 Annual Precipitation Summary)




----

Front Of House
Cut number four has taken place. The backyard garden will be planted this weekend and the new rain barrel will be installed. Looking forward to not using city water for the garden in 2010. And, right now, no one in our area has snow on the brain, just as they didn't back in 1947, but they should have. Late May 1947 Snowstorm in Wisconsin

(FOH - May 27, 2010)

Comments

  1. Your precip has been nicely scattered throughout the month, OSNW3. Ours was clumped together in the middle of May this year. We missed every pop-up storm around us this week, as we experienced some typical summer-like air mass storms.

    You and I are on the same wavelength with the rain barrel. I too was thinking this spring about setting one up to save on the water bill and getting some free nitrogen in the water for the garden. How are you setting it up?

    and....what are you planting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dog days you say. Well, nothing like that here in North Central Washington. In fact, we are in an uninterrupted rain event right now and breaking records around the region.

    I should have picked up a few rain barrels just for this storm system. I’ve been delayed completing my new, soon to be fenced-in, veggie and fruit tree garden. My neighbor will be building my new “custom” gate. We have to keep the deer at bay!

    Quality brews you say? What is of special note in your region?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We also had a Summer like week here in Western Wisconsin O! It was downright uncomfortable in that humidity, but I loved it! I topped 90 twice earlier this week, already topping more 90s then all of last year just in the past week! please see my blog for the deatails on this down a few posts.

    Good luck with your garden, hopefully you can remember the plant types this time :) BTW were on level with our lawn mowings, I'm also on my 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WxWatcher, our rain has been scattered. No deluges to speak of. It was indeed Summer-like and it seems it will stay that way through the weekend. My cold Memorial Day prediction did not come to fruition and I am glad. The rain barrel will be set up about 3 feet from the ground receiving water from my east sloping garage roof where the garden begins. If there is enough pressure I plan on putting a make-shaft irrigation system in, if not, well, we'll use buckets I guess. Crops this year include beans, cucumbers, chives, peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, squash and perhaps a couple impulse buys when we go get the stuff. Getting excited.

    Bob, will these extended rains create any eroding or land slides in your area? With how dry your climate is, and how you didn't get much snow this past winter I am sure the rain is welcomed with open arms. I agree, we gotta keep the critters out of the garden. This isn't a free for all. Am I right? Brews, yes I said brews. Currently my two favorite brewery's in WI are New Glarus and Fox River. For a more in depth look into beer around Oshkosh and the state please check out the Oshkosh Beer blog. You will find good reads.

    D, I've been keeping up. Again, NW WI proves to be a hot spot. Thanks for the luck. I think things will go better than last year as my wife will have more time to care for it as our daughter is at an age that it is now possible. She's the green thumb, I ain't. I'll have to document the actual plantings so I don't forget. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment