May Hatchings

This past week was absolutely perfect. Temperatures kept on climbing and topped out above 70 four days in a row. The rains came late in the week and with it some cooler air. Nothing to extreme, but it was a friendly reminder that it is only the first half of May. Trees around the area are leafed out, flower beds are in bloom, and I've mowed the lawn. Spring is in full effect. (OSNW3 May Observations)

(Temp Comparison 2008 / 2009 | May 1 - 10)
Max temp: 62.2 / 66.6 / +4.4
Min temp: 44.7 / 47.7 / +3.0



(May 2009 Precipitation | May 1 - 10)
2009 Monthly Total
Precip.. 0.74"
Snow.... 0.0"
Oshkosh Average
Precip.. 2.96"
Snow.... T"
Departure
Precip.. -2.22"
Snow.... -T"



----

Winnebago Lake Fly Hatch
The annual spring Lake Fly hatch has apparently happened. This past Friday (May 8) I noticed one on our front porch door window. I didn't realize the initial hatching surge had taken place however, until I saw the "Top News Of The Day" entry, Lake Fly Hatch Seen on NWS Doppler Radar, from the NWS Green Bay. Simply amazing that the hatch was picked up on Doppler radar (click link to see radar). I cannot personally confirm the hatch as I haven't been over to the lake since Friday, and the 1.4 miles from the lake that I live, is usually a safe distance to stay completely clear of the monstrous swarms.

:: Addendum, I can personally confirm the hatch. So can my windshield. The ride from Oshkosh to Neenah on County Road A during the morning hours of May 11 put millions of them on display a couple feet above the road.

(Winnebago Lake Flies - image from ASLO)


----

Dog Days of Summer
We are months away from the hottest days of the year, but as it was discussed in last weeks comments, "would you consider any of your summer as being "humid"? Or does the dry Canadian air keep you nice and comfy all summer?". WxWatcher's question got the wheels spinning about how to graphically represent that our WI summers do indeed encapsulate the uncomfortable side of the warm months. Somewhat similar to the "Winter Duration" formula, I decided to compare summer temperatures, as that is the all the data I have beside precipitation for OSNW3. It is likely to conclude that if our max temps exceed 80 and our min temps do not fall below 65 on any given day, that it was a hot and humid day. I have yet to compare dewpoints on the days that this formula promotes as being a "Dog Day". This is obviously a work in progress...

The graph below shows the total days with a max temp above 80, min temp above 65, and "dog days" at OSNW3 which are the two previous conditions taking place on the same day.

(OSNW3 - Dog Days thru May 10, 2009)


The graphs below are the conditions strung out over the days observed for that given year.

(OSNW3 - 2007 Dog Days)


(OSNW3 - 2008 Dog Days)


----

Front Of House
I cut the lawn on May 8...

(FOH - May 10, 2009)


(Looking West - May 10, 2009)


(Looking East - May 10, 2009)

Comments

  1. LOVE the Dog Day Data Drop! Great job on the graphs, it looks like last year was cooler for you all as well. You've got me thinking about how to collect data for dewpoints at this station this summer. Maybe the high dew point for each day?

    What a great radar image, too. I'll bet the fishing is picking up on the lake with the recent invasion of invertebrates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How crazy that the "hatching" is picked up on Doplar Radar! Bugs on my windshield is my least favorite part of spring/summer/fall. It is the ONLY thing I like about cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you really greened up! I just mowed my lawn today May-11th. Everything is turning Green! Expect two late trees in my yard Bald Cypress are late to get going! but all the common trees Oak and Ash have little flowers and small leaves on them, I just posted a photo of Tulips on my blog if you would like to see, OSN!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, what's with those little fly critters? Do they hatch on all lakes in WI? The fish have to love'em.

    We have greened-up'd here big time. Cut the lawn for the first time in 2009 on the 8th.

    Great stuff with this posting...

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. WxWatcher, thanks man! It was fun putting together. I am anxious to find the dewpoint data for the dates suggested as "Dog Days". I'll just use wunderground's history cause that's the easiest and I believe that's the airports data here in Oshkosh. The Sturgeon enjoy the Lake Flies, funny how a human back in the day decided to place them here to feed the fish...

    Ami, I think the most buggy time for me when driving is late Summer. Perhaps it's because during that time I am driving more often after dusk *shrug*

    D, yes we did! I saw your Tulips and they look marvelous! I enjoy you sharing your knowledge about trees and plants. Keep dropping the science, man!

    Bob, you betcha. The flies are a major source of food for lake sturgeon, frogs, bats and birds. I'm guessing that most WI lakes do not have this type of hatch or the flies at all. I am not certain, but I think it's a Lake Winnebago thing. At least for the numbers of them. From what I know, someone decided to bring the flies to the lake to feed the fish and it kinda got outta hand... :) I'll investigate some more...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment