Oshkosh's Warmest March Ever & What To Expect Going Into Summer

Best March ever?! The month started out a snow lovers dream. A fresh 6+ inches of the white stuff on Mar 2-3. Finally some snow to play in! We did all we could to maximize the potential. However, as the cycling weather patterns would prove, the winter like conditions were short lived and the long term trend morphed into the expected spring like pattern. With a flip of a switch spring had sprung. The defining moment of the atypical March was when the overnight lows remained above fifty degrees for five consecutive nights, Mar 18-22. Overnight lows rarely drop below fifty degrees in the month of July. Absolutely amazing! Needless to say almost everything is in bloom and the grass seed I planted two weeks ago is nearly two inches in height.

(Oshkosh's Warmest March Ever - 2012)
(click image for entire data set)

I finally got that off my chest. I felt a delayed reaction would be best suited. The media was a bit over the top at times. Realistically the weather was magical and I can only hope we get some more days like that this summer. I will certainly not be singing the praises of our warm March when the pattern cycles around again in June (two cycles from now) and our windows are closed with an air conditioner running full blast.

(Oshkosh Forecast Trend Based On The LRC - May through June)

Concentrating on now, April should begin with a more seasonal feel the first week with a potential cold snap during the days leading up to Apr 6. But, as we have become accustomed to this year, temps will warm once again through the middle of the month until things turn cool and wet around Apr 22. For more info on the long range forecast trend for Oshkosh based on Lezak's Recurring Cycle theory click here.

(OSNW3 Weather Brief)
(OSNW3 March Observations)

(OSNW3 March 2012 Summary)
(click on graph for the month summary data - it will open a new tab/window)

----

The landscape is greening up quick around here. Quite a different scene on fools day this year compared to last year. Click the link to see the FOH from 2011.

(FOH - April 1, 2012)

Comments

  1. Hey, glad spring is finally there! Periods of Summer like weather here except Easter weekend and our fruits are doing well. Strawberries on Easter! I am glad for a quiter spring...down here.
    I have heard that the almanac predicts a cooler summer???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, S. Spring has been here for a while now. Early mid March. We love strawberries around here. Enjoy! What is a 'quitter spring', please forgive my ignorance.

      As far as summer is concerned the LRC trends tell me it should be warm and humid into July... if the theory holds truth then a change in the overall cycle isn't in the cards until late August into September. We'll see!!

      Delete
    2. oops! quieter Spring. The past few springs have been filled with violent storms...it seems this year... to have less violent storms.
      We will be very busy with fruit this year. If we stay on top of things, our first crop of Donut peaches. :)
      Wish we were going to the Oshkosh Airshow this year :( but another activity will be at the same time.

      Delete
  2. I've seen you and Tim talking a lot about the LRC the past few months and I'm surprised at the accuracy of the forecast they show. Can you hook me up with some information here in the Rochester area and tell me where I can find all the easy to ready info?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D, I've been meaning to get back to you. It's not as easy as you make it sound. I've got a sizable plate this year regarding LRC trends, how about I put you down for next year?

      Delete
  3. I was under the impression it was easy to find and that I could actually find it myself under your guidance. I had no idea you actually put the info together yourself! Next year? You can put me down for next year but I'm not 100% sure were I will be living so as long as your willing to possibly do another area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you give us water temps of L. Winnebago?
    Historically, is the water warmer now than it normally would be? Lots of Lake Flies this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terry, thanks for stopping by the blog. I've always wanted to find reliable data regarding the lake and river, however time to dedicate to it has consistently derailed my attempts. I do have a link that will get us close though.

      http://www.lre.usace.army.mil/greatlakes/hh/lakewinnebago/

      I will keep searching so we can do some historical comparisons.

      Delete

Post a Comment