Mar 2, 2012 - Winter Storm Recap

Fast Moving Storm Hits East-Central Wisconsin

A fast moving storm system raced across the Great Lakes region Friday.  The storm produced snow across about the southeast half of Wisconsin.  The heaviest snows fell in a band from just west of Milwaukee to the lakeshore areas in east-central Wisconsin.  In general, 4 to 6 inches of snow fell across the Fox Valley, while 5 to 8 inches fell across lakeshore counties.  The highest reported snowfall in our area was 8.5 inches at Francis Creek in Manitowoc county.

More from the National Weather Service in Green Bay, WI click here.

----
Measurements (3)
----

Mar 3, 2012 @ 6:59am
This measurement was the routine 24hr observation which encompassed two official observations. The snowboard I made the 927pm measurement was used for this observation as well.  I measured 2.4", providing 0.2" more snow overnight. A radarloop of the entire storm is below. An area of light snow associated with the trough extending from the departing low is providing a fluffy coating this morning.

0.2" - New Snow
6.2" - Total Storm Snow
Current Snow Depth - 6"






----

Mar 2, 2012 @ 9:27pm 
Snow continued moderately through the dinner hour and has since tapered off to very light snow or flurries. Winds have picked up a bit. Took a drive to get some take out from Bangkok Thai and the roads were snow covered and slippery.

2.2" - New Snow
6.0" - Total Storm Snow
Current Snow Depth - 6"




----

Mar 2, 2012 @ 5:31pm 
Snow started to fall around noon. It picked up intensity around 2pm and has continued heavy to moderate up to this observation. Light winds with an occasional light gust. The snow is very wet and packy. Great for building snow structures.

3.8" - New Snow
3.8" - Total Storm Snow
Current Snow Depth - 4"



-

Comments

  1. That snow is WET!
    Glad you got a nice amount from this storm. Happy Spring! LOL

    Did your in-laws receive big hail yesterday morning? The line of storms that hit us seemed to stay on or around I-70 through St. Louis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WxWatcher, yes indeed it is wet. You know when the snow accumulates on the edge of the rain gauge and how we are instructed to run the snow stick over the top and what falls in, falls in? Well I think more fell off than in. My ratio was 12:1.

    I have not communicated with the STL family. Half of them are in Hawaii, particularly the ones who live in Florissant. I will as the St. Charles batch to see what went down!

    Did you get hail? I suppose I should check your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't mind being in Hawaii right now. Best coffee in the world in my opinion.

    A wet snow that sticks to everything in sight. By far my favorite snow. That's what we had mid-March 2011 when we got a surprise 10". I'm not closing the books on snow this year..you never know.

    The biggest hail report from Fulton from the Friday morning hail was 1.75". I didn't see any that big in our yard, but we sure did get a LOT. I grabbed the camera and a cup (to freeze some), but just as I was out the door, the girls woke up and were awfully frightened by it. My daddy hat is bigger than my spotter hat ;) so I didn't get any pictures, otherwise I would have posted it on the blog.

    Looking at this year's active pattern based on the LRC, it seems we may have yet another big severe season on our hands. I only hope we don't have many outbreaks like Friday. I heard of many school districts that closed early Friday due to the PDS forecast. It's something I hadn't heard of before, but makes sense. I'm going to see if our district will do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good report Josh, glad you got some snow..who knows this may have been the last decent snowfall of the winter?

    ReplyDelete
  5. WxWatcher, I agree. Especially when it sticks to the evergreens. That's my fave. Although very exciting, severe weather frightens me. I can do without large hail, strong winds, and tornadoes. This coming week is an extension of the 'signature' pattern that I reference in my LRC blog. Many instances in this cycle with large temp gradients and vorticity... in the simplest terms, good ingredients for weather that could turn severe. I think it is wise, have you read Mike Smith's book, How Science Tamed The Weather? If not, check it out!

    Tim, I am glad you got dumped on consecutively. The big lake lives up to it's name putting you on an island from the rest of the world. Just like it should.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment