The Great Lakes Cyclone

**Update** Follow this link to view a satelitte loop of the storm.

Epic, Apocalyptic, and Historical are a few adjectives I've read describing the low pressure system that has engulfed the region. Much hype preceded reality and it is living up to that hype. We here at OSNW3 have recorded over an inch of rainfall with the loudest of winds creaking our 90 year old home. From friends via the Internet I am able to report a few damaging effects such as pieces of roofing scratching cars, garbage cans gone missing, fences and outdoor restrooms falling over. I personally witnessed some beach erosion and roof damage. Which leads me to some videos and photos I'd like to share of the ongoing event.

The morning of October 26th I took a detour on my way to Neenah to see the clouds and waves. The winds were from the south early which provided some worthy results. First stop was at Menominee Park in Oshkosh, second at Grundman Park Boat Landing in Vinland, and third at Rainbow Beach in Neenah.

(Menominee Park - Oct 26, 2010)


(Grundman Park Boat Landing - Oct 26, 2010)


(Rainbow Beach - Oct 26, 2010)


Wave action on the west side died down throughout the day mainly due to the directional shift of the winds that was taking place as the low pressure moved. I was limited to the west side of the lake which meant less fetch. October 27th proved to have better opportunities to be in the correct spots where the fetch would be larger with the wind direction. This time the detour took me to Calumet County Park near Stockbridge, WI.

(Calumet County Park - Oct 27, 2010)


Winds on Oct 27 were more southwest and as I have become accustomed, the waves on the east shore are always larger than those on the west shore. Perhaps it has to do with the wind direction and fetch, but depth of the lake in those areas could also play a roll. If I am able to capture more of the Great Lakes Cyclone affecting the Lake Winnebago area I will be updating the photo set and video set on the Internet. Photos are here, videos are here. Links to other regional bloggers who have more detailed information on the storm and it's impacts are below.

Tim's Weather Blog - Duluth, MN
Chicago Weather Center - Chicago, IL
WeatherWatch 12 - Milwaukee, WI
NW Wisconsin Weather - Clayton, WI
Karl Bohnak - Michigan's Upper Peninsula

Regional National Weather Service office summaries.
Green Bay, WI
Milwaukee, WI
LaCrosse, WI
Duluth, MN
Grand Rapids, MI

Archived radar loop of the Great Lakes Cyclone.
Updated at 8:30am Oct 28th.

(US Radarloop - Oct 25-28, 2010)

Comments

  1. Great report OSNW3. When I saw the tight pressure gradient, I thought about you all and the effect of all that wind. I'm curious, do you have any data on max wind speeds for your area?

    This system reminds me of a storm over a decade ago (unsure what year). We had a powerful tornado roll through Lebanon, MO followed almost immediately by 3-4" of snow.

    I got excited when I saw the snow on the map again. I'm still predicting Nov. 14 for your first inch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WxWatcher, I do not have a comprehensive list. The only list of wind data is that of the NWS Storm Reports and they are paged out on the Internet. However, what I can tell you is... that at exactly 1:45am last night I was awoke from a dead sleep by the wind giving our house a good old hum job. I then heard something whip against the house. My original thought was the telephone or Ethernet cable out to the webcam snapped, but it must have been something else because those were both intact this morning. But for what seemed like forever (maybe 15-20 minutes) massive sustained winds howled with gusts that made me wish they'd stop.

    0135 AM NON-TSTM WND GST
    DARBOY 44.23N 88.38W
    10/27/2010 M53 MPH
    CALUMET WI TRAINED SPOTTER

    0204 AM NON-TSTM WND GST
    SHERWOOD 44.17N 88.27W
    10/27/2010 M79 MPH
    CALUMET WI TRAINED SPOTTER
    LOCATED OFF LAKE WINNEBAGO

    The above areas are across the lake from me, but the fact that the winds were whipping last night is undeniable.

    And for the EAA lover in all of us, today at the airport...

    1240 PM NON-TSTM WND GST
    OSHKOSH 44.01N 88.55W
    10/27/2010 M58 MPH
    WINNEBAGO WI PUBLIC
    PIONEER AIRPORT ON EAA GROUNDS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, not a day to be flying an ultralight.

    Your wind numbers are impressive. I know the feeling when the house creaks and pops during an extended wind gust. You just don't know how much more it will take.

    Thanks for the data!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WxWatcher, I would have to agree. You are welcome. And I just ran across this special statement.

    http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/p.php?pid=201010271544-KGRB-WWUS83-SPSGRB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting statement. I've never thought about the wind having such an effect on large bodies of water. Makes sense when you think about it.

    Is this the kind of wind that creates your ice shoves in the winter?

    ReplyDelete
  6. WxWatcher, yes, but rarely this long in duration, obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WxWatcher, I've found stats. NWS MKE did a fantastic job, now only if GRB would do a fantastic job. We'll see.

    http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=mkx&storyid=59011&source=0

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing comparison with a Cat 3 hurricane. Nice report. Just imagine if that system rolled through 2 months later...

    ReplyDelete
  9. WxWatcher, the NWS in Duluth has the motherload of reports on this storm. I suggest checking that out. In regards of "what if", according to the LRC (Lezak's Recurring Cycle) this storm will indeed be back, twice before met winter is over.

    The LRC...
    * A unique weather pattern sets up every year
    * The LRC evolves and sets up between October 1st and November 10th
    * The cycling weather pattern develops a new cycle length and then continues through the rest of the fall season, winter, spring, and into summer

    Check it out. It's pretty sweet. Also, in the right hand column of wx blogs I read, the WeatherWatch 12 group in MKE are big supporters of the LRC theory. If you get interested check out their blog too. With my recent knowledge of the LRC I've done some minimal research within my archives and I am almost ready to hop aboard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting theory indeed. It would make sense that large storm systems act in a cyclical nature during a "normal" year. I wonder what Lezak has to say about El Nino and La Nina years.

    It seems as if the cycles repeat in a roughly 2 month period during the winter. That would project another mega-storm around mid to late December. (another Christmas storm?)

    I'm interested to learn more, too. Let me know if/when you find out more. I'll do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep watching. This will be an interesting year.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment