The Warm Spring Leaveth

Just as April finished, May begins with warmer than average temperatures here at OSNW3. All things must come to an end however, and our above average temperatures will do just that in the coming days. I know it'll be a rude awakening for myself as the golf course has been a very tolerable place as of late. Usually it's not so in late April, early May. The 14 day temperature outlook has the Great Lakes region in the below average category which may dampen the early Spring spirit.

Addendum - May 5, from the NWS GRB, Tornadoes in Winnebago County. The tornadoes and winds took place about 15 miles to the north from OSNW3. Photos and videos of the sky above OSNW3 around the time of the tornadoes are located here. More photos from the Oshkosh Northwestern located here.

(OSNW3 Weather Brief)
(OSNW3 May Observations)

(OSNW3 May 2010 Summary)

(click on graph for the month summary data - it will open a new tab/window)

----

April Summary
As most everyone knows, this April was much warmer than any other normal April. Because of the warmth the flowers and trees bloomed and leafed out much earlier, the lake fly hatch was the earliest hatch in 50 years and I was cutting my grass before May, just to name a few. The pace of everything Spring was quick, early and often. Here at OSNW3 the 2010 April mean temperature ranks 3rd all-time in Oshkosh at 51.9°. We ended the month in the top 20 all-time for precipitation and snowfall as well. A stellar month in every aspect.

Snowfall Rankings
Precipitation Rankings
Mean Temperature Rankings

April 2010 monthly summary data and graph links below.

(OSNW3 April Observations)
(OSNW3 April Month Summary)

----

Latest NWS Newsletter is Online
The Spring/Summer edition of the Packerland Weather News, the NWS Green Bay newsletter, is online. Click here to read about the latest information from the NWS office in Green Bay.

----

Front Of House
I've cut the grass twice this season, all before my first cut last year. (May 3, 2009)

(FOH - May 3, 2010)

Comments

  1. You and I are at the same mark for grass mowing. I've mowed it twice (I'm keeping track this year), although it is due again after the weekend rain.

    You have mentioned the lake fly hatch before in last year's posts. Just curious...do you know the species of fly? I'm sure it has a great impact on fishing. I've been really digging into entomology since my new-found fly fishing hobby. Very interesting stuff!

    Nice background, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liking the new background Josh! From now on I'm going to you when it comes to predicting snow weeks in advance, lol. Potential is there for some snow up here in Duluth sometime Friday or early Saturday, oh boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping that the snow and below freezing temps pass my location, as I've already planted my annuals thinking that the worse of the freezing temps was over! I've cut the grass once, and will soon be needed to do so again. My mean average April temp was 62.5 by the way, couldn't ask for a better 2 months to start Spring (March/April)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WxWatcher, I am about to cut the grass again before Sunday. About the lake flies. Just google "lake flies" and hit up the Wiki page on them. You can enjoy a new background on your blog too, google blogger in draft and check it out.

    Tim, haha. The GFS works wonders 2 weeks in advance for predicting a cool spell in the western Great Lakes region. I'll be keeping a close eye on the cool air fo sho.

    Derek, I'm surprised you were thinking the cold temperatures were over. That's an amazing April mean. It's higher than Oshkosh's average May mean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad the tornado missed you! That's a close one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I generually say when the Lilacs and Tulips begin to bloom it's safe to plant annuals, and there blooming! so I thought I'd be ok, It doesn't look likes it's going to get too cold here, I see a couple nights with low 30s. Speaking of the Tulips, My Tulip project 2010 project started blooming this week, I've got the pictures on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like that you’ve been posting pictures of the front of your house as the seasons move along. It adds a nice bit of perspective to all the info you pass along. The new layout it cool, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lee reminded me that I released a post today you might be very interested in O, Although I haven't been keeping my promis of taking pics of the front of my house, I have been taking pictures of my garden from my webcam everyday since Jan, I just put the pictures together and posted it on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dew, agreed 100%

    D, our date is centered somewhere near the Memorial Day holiday. It's 99.9% (I'll actually check into that) certain that it will not freeze after that date. It also gives us a solid 90+ days for growing. I am getting excited to till and plant in the coming weeks. Your photos of your flowers and plants are always excellent, as they are always colorful and healthy. I have checked out the time-lapse many times since you posted it and I like it very much. Looking forward to more of them in the future.

    Lee, thank you, I appreciate your checking in. I am anxious to search and find the hop garden in your latest entry. That is very near my residence. The intersection of Jackson and Murdock is my hood. I also see that the Cheif sign is still up at Payne’s Point Tavern, but now I've finally noticed the Minnesota Vikings Brett Favre signature something or another above it. I noticed a Jets flag on that premises two seasons ago as well. Must be living the dream yet with grandpa Brett.

    ReplyDelete
  10. O, email me at oshkoshbeer@gmail.com and I'll send you the address of Nick's Hop Operation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OSNW3, glad you escaped the tornado. Some interesting clouds.
    Flash flood at our church - nothing compared to the rest of Nashville - the next day it happened again to our church (250K in damage)! In two days we recorded 6 inches( our back field experienced the usual watertable issue) , but some parts of the Nashville area recorded as much as 20 in for two days. It was like someone poured a bucket of water on Middle TN.

    ReplyDelete
  12. SuzieE, that is so unfortunate. I hope there is a quick and full recovery from all the damage, for everyone.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment