Lulz of Irony

In a few days span this past week we saw tornadoes and snow in east-central WI. Tornadoes on Wed, May 5 and snow on Fri-Sat, May 7-8 (more on this below). Together they provided a full range of Mother Nature's offerings. Temperatures have remained below average since May 7, even dipping below freezing in some parts of the region. The chilly temps are of no surprise as March and April were way above average and it was just a matter of time until an air mass flip-flop occurred. Looking forward, the long range forecast suggests that the cold air moves out and warm air moves in.

(OSNW3 Weather Brief)
(OSNW3 May Observations)

(OSNW3 May 2010 Summary)

(click on graph for the month summary data - it will open a new tab/window)

----

Weekly Snowfall
Looking back at the official monthly snow totals for Oshkosh it seems the last measurable snowfall happened on May 9, 1960. However differing data would suggest it was 1990. We here at OSNW3 had never recorded a snowflake in the month of May until this past week. First analysis was that it had not snowed, but once I was able to view the daily webcam video it was evident that it had. Between 10pm and 1am a small accumulation worked its way onto the grass. Being unable to be out there to record an observation it will go down as a Trace. Never the less, it snowed in May of 2010. Click here for the radar. Below are links to other regional blog entries with information on the snowfall.

Tim - Duluth, MN
Nathan - Northern WI
Derek - Northwest WI
Doug - Oshkosh Northwestern

As the system departed, due to the cold air above the surface, unstable conditions helped develop showers across much of the area. Some of the showers produced very small hail, as witnessed by my wife late afternoon on Sat, May 8. The showers were short lived so I have no physical evidence of the hail, just her word (which is more than enough in my opinion). Below are a few photos of my drive home from Kohler around 6:30pm that evening.





----

Front of House
Do to my recent work schedule I was unable to cut the grass before the rains moved in. My third cut will have to wait until it dries up. On a side note, I am having a difficult time remembering what we planted in our part of the garden that has random plants/flowers in it. Help?

(FOH - May 11, 2010)

Comments

  1. Tornadoes and snow. Sounds like a late winter setup in Missouri! Glad to see that the worst weather missed you guys. You've got some awesome shots of the clouds, though in your prev. post.

    Hurray for weather cams for confirming data! I've gotta get me one of those.

    I'm due for cut #4 when the grass dries out (probably late this week). I've been trying to make a guess of how many I'll do this year. I'm thinking maybe 16? Just a shot in the dark. How many did you have last year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are those plants in the pic annual or perennial? Another teacher and I are doing some research

    ReplyDelete
  3. WxWatcher, I was caught in between a rock and a hard place when the sirens went off for that tornado. I knew the dangerous stuff was north of me so I pretended not to hear the siren. ha.

    I love my webcam.

    I dug back into my archived entries and I stopped counting at 7, which leads me to believe I didn't cut after 7 times.

    About the plants... they are annual, as in I never touch them and they keep coming back year after year after year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of web cams- I've been watching an owl nest live feed for several weeks. Great to check in every day or so and see their growth.

    http://www.sportsmansparadiseonline.com/Live_Owl_Nest_Box_Cam.html

    Just a quick warning- check before you show the kids. Sometimes the parents bring live or semi-live food back to the nest box.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post on the weather! I actually followed those storms on radar as they passed to the NW of Oshkosh, I knew right after they hit eventually I would be hearinf from you about this, Definitly a close call I would say!

    and I couldn't help myself when I saw your little comment in your post on the plants. as you know I have quite a backround in them!

    You said they come back every year right? This means you have perennial, In plants Perennial means they come back year after year, and Annual means you plant them once and they die off in winter :)

    Ok, so I do know what most of those plants are in your garden. In your picture, The plants with the pink leaves near the middle edge are Coral Belles, the plant with the yellow flowers are Primerose, and the plants with the purple flowers scattered across your garden are Variegated Mint Which I believe are only for show and not to eat!. I'm unsure of what the little white flowers are though, thoses have be stumped, But I hope this helped at least shed some light on your questions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. CJ, this live look of the owls is magnificent. Owls are my favorite. Thanks for the link.

    D, close call for sure. Almost too close for comfort. I kinda hoped you'd help shed some light on my plant/flower situation. Perennial they are, thanks for the clarification. This has helped greatly. I appreciate your time and effort.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I was in Florida for 2 1/2 weeks, so I couldn't enjoy all of the crazy weather up here.

    I'm trying to convince myself to get a webcam. Ha ha.
    -Chris

    ReplyDelete
  8. O, your very welcome! The plants I named in your picture I knew, becuase there pretty common in Wis. So it required to reaserch and was not a problem! If you have any more questions about plants in the future, feel free to post again, or email me, you always know I'm more then willing to help out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment