State of the 2009-10 OSNW3 Winter

This past week had Spring written all over it. A mean temp 9.2° above the average mean, and .69" of rainfall didn't give any lasting Winter feel much chance to stick around. Six of the seven days experienced fog as well. On one of those days dense morning fog delayed Oshkosh schools two hours. Forecast models stay in Spring mode this coming week which will officially close out Winter here at OSNW3. The following week things cool down though and there are hints at chances of frozen precipitation Mar 20-26. I wouldn't mind another snow storm or two before the month is out and the chances exist, so that excites me.

(OSNW3 Weather Brief)
(OSNW3 March Observations)

(OSNW3 March 2010 Summary)

(click on graph for the month summary data - it will open a new tab/window)

----

OSNW3 Winter 2009-10
After another observation of above freezing max temps and no snow depth on Mar 14, two more observations of the same conditions will officially bring winter to an end here at OSNW3. Making Mar 16, 2010 the day winter ended for the 2009-10 winter season. More on this topic next week.

(Current OSNW3 2009-10 Winter Duration Graph)


Watch the snow vanish from OSNW3 by clicking here. It's a time lapse video from Mar 3 thru Mar 13. On Mar 3 things were still looking a bit Winter-ish, not much any more. The FOH and NOON time lapse slide shows can be viewed by following this link.

----

Southeast GA
I was in Savannah this past week for work. When I arrived at noon on Monday the sun was shining with a temp in the low 70's. It was a nice feeling. Weather wise things only got better the rest of the week. Tuesday handed me a fantastic sunrise and sunset. Wednesday morning provided a rainbow that followed me all the way to the mill and I chilled poolside late evening. Thursday it rained the entire day filling roadside swales and lawns with water. Friday brought clouds to Savannah, but with the clouds, the humidity, and temps in the 70's, it felt like June in Wisconsin all week. It was a great pleasure visiting SE Georgia. However, with only clouds hanging around in Savannah on Friday, many thunderstorms were working their way east to the north. One place in particular, Atlanta. You know what happens in Atlanta when t-storms roll through? The airport shuts down and that ripples throughout all other regional airports. Regardless, two positive things did occur that Friday. One, while on my first flight as the plane descended into ATL through the layers of clouds we were greeted with a beautiful cloudscape. Most notable, the clouds that I was face to face with out my window... mammatus! I couldn't believe my eyes. I took a quadruple take, and then looked again. I was glued to my window for minutes until we eventually flew away from them. I was convinced of what I saw, but without photos to prove it I leave only these feeble words. I should have been better prepared knowing we were flying through storms and such. ARGH! Two, I eventually got home. :)

----

Front Of House
My wife said to me before I left a week ago that all the snow would be gone by the time I got home. Sure enough. Time to rake and help the grass come back to life.

(FOH - Mar 14, 2010)


(Miller Bay - Mar 13, 2010)

Comments

  1. Nice post! The snow has compeltely dissapired as well over here and we hit our first 60 of the season! (please see my post) My Daffodils, as well as my aunts a very near blooming! This is my favorite time of year. I need get out and start working in my yard/garden as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, D! I saw your post. You are having great weather with a wonderful taste of Spring time growth! We haven't reached 60 yet in my yard, but I think it's coming this week!

    Officially, Winter ends and Spring begins today at OSNW3 today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OSNW3, We have enjoyed keeping tabs with y'all since we do not get all that much snow. I will miss winter. kinda wish we'd get another freaky snow storm.
    Here is a link you might enjoy... some pics (AND VIDEOS) my daughter and son took while flying over TN.

    http://s378.photobucket.com/albums/oo227/mrsgreatbritian/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Face to face with mammatus! What a cool treat! BTW..NEVER fly without your camera!! :o)

    I've never heard of fog delaying school, it must have been some pretty dense stuff for sure.

    It's always fun to watch your time lapses. I particularly enjoy the snow melts. What kind of damage (if any) happens to your grass as a result of being buried all winter?

    Now that you can see your ground again, have you started thinking about the garden? I'm getting more peppers and tomatoes in this year. If we can only get the ground to dry out, I can get in some early peas, too.

    Good to hear from you again, I've missed a few weeks due to sickness and standardized-test-induced stress at school.

    Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SuzieE, I also wish we'd get a freaky snowstorm. Maybe in April, or May. Thanks for sharing your photos of the flight! They're great. I like that you snapped a shot of the snow along the tree line, and it looks like the Center Hill Lake is low. Sure looks fun!

    WxWatcher, I know! I don't know what I was thinking. Fog delays schools around here once every couple years I'd guess. I wonder if I can obtain that data? I'll ask my wife to find out. We've thought about the garden. Making it more of an edible garden for a near 2 year old. That's about it though. Absolutely no work has been done to it, and won't be for at least a month. We usually plant around Memorial Day. Sorry about the sickness, man. Easter break is just around the corner, right? Or have you already had your "spring break"?

    ReplyDelete
  6. WxWatcher, about the grass damage. Usually it just goes dormant and stays that way until Spring. So no damage occurs. On occasion mold can form underneath the snow but I do not think the mold kills the grass...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spring break was last week. It was a nice break, and kids here are back to "normal". The teachers are in a better mood, too. :o)

    I've found that strawberries are a great kid-friendly crop that will grow wherever you put them.

    Does your little one like tomatoes? I think Catherine might turn red when she gets older for all the cherry tomatoes she eats!

    I just got into fly fishing last year, and I'm loving it. There's something rewarding from catching and eating a fish that you caught on a homemade fly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment