El Nino Bashing

Lately the snowfall around here has been of an oddity. I somewhat feel like the area has shifted into another climate classification zone. The snow falls, accumulates, and then it melts. If the observer isn't around to make an observation just as the snow stops, it'll be gone within a few hours. Maximum temperatures have been above 30°F for the past 8 days, and with the strength of the February sun, all the ingredients are there to quickly melt away any new snow. As of the morning observation on Feb 22, we have a 6" snow depth. Maintaining that depth until the end of the month seems impossible, however there are chances of snow Tue and Wed that may help prolong it.
(OSNW3 February Observations)

(OSNW3 February 2010 Summary)

(click on graph for the month summary data - it will open a new tab/window)

----

Weekly Snowfall
With two snows succumbing to the situation mentioned above, we did have a couple of snows actually stick around long enough to be measured at OSNW3. Our total days with measurable snowfall for the month are once again above average. The total snowfall for the month is also above average, making it the fourth consecutive February with above average snows. Are we starting a trend, or am I to assume February will take the year off in 2011?

Snowfall
Days With Measurable Snow

(Feb 16, 2010 - 1.0")


(Feb 22, 2010 - 1.4")


----

Marquette, MI
I was in Marquette, MI this past weekend for the UP200. Beautifully cloudless skies and warm temperatures didn't break our spirits. We still went to church and kept the faith. The photo below is of a buddy and I attempting to get closer to Lake Superior. Photo courtesy of Casey Kessenich. Nice!

(Presque Isle - Marquette, MI - Feb 20, 2010)


----

Front Of House
I got lucky snapping the FOH shot for this entry early Monday morning. It was snowing! How long will this scene last, though? I recall WeatherScout tossing around an idea about guessing the last day with a measurable snow depth at OSNW3. I'd like to add the last day of winter at OSNW3 to that idea. Here goes nothing... (see comments)

(FOH - Feb 22, 2010)

Comments

  1. Awesome picture of the lake J! and I agree about the sun getting Much stronger! We've been in the 30s everyday this week! feels downright spring-like! and Today we got a quarter inch of snow this morning but with the sun, it was gone by Noon! Speaking of Spring I'm not sure you seen my 2 posts but I've seen the Daffodils sprouting and my house and my aunts! Spring isn't far away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last day...

    Mar 30 - Of Winter
    Apr 8 - With A Measurable Snowdepth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm noticing many of my friends are being inspired by our together shots.

    I would imagine drastically different attire. It had been in the high 60's all day Saturday. I was in short sleeves until the chill of the night came along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy the last of the snow. We are in the mid and high 40's out here with a few low 50's. The past four days have been clear and sunny. Been in the yard getting the veggie patch ready for expansion this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm ready to throw on the sunscreen and lay out on my deck real soon, but I still have a layer of Ice/Snow on it, argh! Here in Duluth, MN we had a 5 day stretch of highs at or above 32 degrees, that's pretty rare to get that many days in a row above freezing in late February here in Northeast Minnesota. El Nino in full strength! I'm all for the milder temps, but I could use a storm or two, wow it's been unusually QUIET this whole month in Duluth, and doesn't look like were due for any changes thru at least the 2nd week of March!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is definitely warmer out than usual. I'm not wearing a heavy winter jacket anymore.

    Excellent, I'm glad you made the "contest". (=D

    Last day of winter~~ April 5
    Last with measurable snowdepth~~ April 25

    ReplyDelete
  7. D, the picture is sweet. I enjoyed taking the occasion off, so to speak, as I let the rest of the crew take photos so I could be more hands on. Today was another day of this out of control El Nino February streak. Hours of snow falling, accumulating, then melting. I feel like I'm in Flagstaff, AZ or something...

    Dew, I've got that photo if you're interested. They are fun poses.

    Bob, interesting as I am not even remotely close to thinking about Spring, personally. I am actually hoping for at least one more snow storm to round out the season. You know I'll be enjoying the snow for however long it lasts. I hope your veggie patch expansion goes well.

    Tim, sunscreen, eh?! The long range models can change on a dime. However, if you do not see anything worthwhile, the odds are our region will indeed be with out a last storm or two. I am betting on a cool March keeping the snow pack around most of the month and then one last snowfall in early April to cover the ground again for a day.

    Chris, great guesses. But I do have to say, whoa... April 25th?! I like it!!! Can't count it out. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment