El Nino vs Old Man Winter

The Oshkosh battle match between El Nino and Old Man Winter is tight. Old Man Winter is holding strong, like the veteran he is, but this seasons El Nino has stamina, delivering punch after punch bringing Old Man Winter to his knees. Currently as I type this we have a 3" snow pack which bodes well for the old man. Forecasts are calling for a pattern change that will put the El Nino blows on retreat. Temps are predicted to fall back to average levels and with a snow depth greater than an inch there is little doubt winter will fail to continue (WSD). (OSNW3 January Observations)

(OSNW3 January 2010 Summary)

(click on graph for the month summary data - it will open a new tab/window)

----

Winter Season Duration
As our latest bout with El Nino comes to a close the once wintry scene around Oshkosh is now a dirty sloppy mess. I am relatively confident that a mid-season flip to Spring, like the 2005/06 winter season, is not in our future. Winter will continue. The OSNW3 winter time lapse can be found here.

(2009-2010 Winter Season Duration Graph)


Keeping with the El Nino theme, the list below is a ranking of Oshkosh's all-time warmest January's. January of 2010 ranks 29th all-time with a current mean temp of 20.6°. (The El Nino data is from this PDF, originally from CoCoRaHS Chris).

(Warmest January Rankings)

(click on list for the data set - it will open a new tab/window)

----

Front Of House
Not too bad in the front yard, but it's getting real ugly on streets with heavy traffic. UGH, I forgot to take down the xmas lights!

(FOH - Jan 24, 2010)

Comments

  1. LOL, awesome description of the battle going on between OMW and EN! Made me laugh.

    We have definitely had a flip in the weather since the month started. Our temperature graph looks much like Bob's.

    I have this feeling that winter is going to shut off soon here. No data to back that up, just a gut feeling. It's okay, though. The warmer weather will give me a chance to try out my new fly rod I got for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great way of showing the "boxing match" going on between the El Nino and Old Man Winter. =)

    We had highs in the 40s yesterday melting a lot of the snow. We only have a few " left.

    We should have another competition for when the snow will melt in your backyard. =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. WxWatcher, I noticed yours and Bob's temp graphs. We haven't had any major swings, which has been nice. It's allowed the snow to hang around... even though what is left is practically worthless for playing in. I am sure winter will pokes it's head in once and a while down there just to remind you it's mid-winter. I over head a co-worker today that he has a slight case of spring fever... way to early in my opinion. :)

    Chris, we hit 40 yesterday too. We certainly should have another competition. How about the last day of "winter" in my backyard? I think that is what we did last year... not sure. I'll check.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen! Shorts one day...Winter Coat the next... Tornados...then snow flurries. All in one week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SuzieE, looks like you're in for some Winter weather. Quite the swath of warnings and watches. I haven't seen the NWS map look like it does today... ever... I think. Make the best of it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's wild. I just checked out the watch/warning map myself. The whole state of TN is covered! Should be fun (for snow lovers of course)

    Be careful SuzieE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OSNW3, It started here about 10:15AM

    By 12:19 we had 2 in. A very dry snow.
    Got my shovel, boots, and sled lined up for the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SuzieE, I sure would enjoy seeing some photos. If you take any and can share them, please do!

    WxWatcher, looks like the northern fringes of the snow may be working it's way to you?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WxWatcher Thanks. It took my husband 3.5 hours to drive home from Nashville. He saw his fair share of accidents.

    OSNW3 Ok I have pictures...
    You can browse my pictures here...I hope...
    http://s378.photobucket.com/albums/oo227/mrsgreatbritian

    Not sure how to measure all this mess. 4 in of snow turned to sleet/freezing rain...

    ReplyDelete
  10. SuzieE, thanks for sharing the photos! The neighbors have some large trees surrounding their home. I like the shot of the sky prior the storm. The road looks like a sloppy mess. Was it plowed before it all froze?! Thanks again... also, that one cat seems to not like the snow! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment