It's Dark Outside

Max temperatures hovered around average for the most part this past week. With the warmer temps, though, we did see four measurable snowfalls. Nothing major as three of the four were under an inch. We are currently 4.2" above the December monthly snowfall average and for the third consecutive year have exceeded that average. Last December Oshkosh broke an all-time monthly snowfall record, recording 35.6" here at OSNW3 and 33.7" officially at the WWTP. An amazing 18 days recorded measurable snowfall (Days with Measurable Snowfall), and comparing last December to this December we are two days behind. Up to this point, last December had 10 days with measurable snowfall while this December has had only 8, which is still above the Oshkosh average (6.1 days).
(OSNW3 December Observations)

(OSNW3 December 2009 Summary)

(click on graph for the month summary data - it will open a new tab/window)

----

Weekly Snowfall
Each of the four snowfalls last week provided just enough to keep things white. I think it's safe to say we'll have a white Christmas in Oshkosh in 2009 (NWS GRB Christmas Stats). 6" of snow covers the ground here at OSNW3 and a snowcore reading on Dec 20 resulted a water content of 1.1", which I feel is a fairly wet snow pack (Snowcore). Looking back at the archived OSNW3 and NWS data, Oshkosh has had a white Christmas since 2002. 2001 was brown.

(Dec 13, 2009 - 0.8")


(Dec 14, 2009 - 0.2")


(Dec 15, 2009 - 1.9")



(Dec 20, 2009 - 0.2")


----

Winter Season Duration

Congrats is in order to Bex (and myself) for predicting the "First Day of Winter" here at OSNW3. We both predicted Dec 12 would be the day. Like the "green-up" time lapse of this past growing season, I will be maintaining a "winter" time lapse as well. Below are the current images. (Winter Season Duration)

(Winter Season Duration - Thru Dec 20, 2009) - 4MB


----

Front of House
The snow pack is starting to settle. Speaking of settling, I read about this snowfall on the WGN blog and I think that amount of snow would settle quickly due to the weight alone. Amazing.

(FOH - Dec 19, 2009)


The "standing still sun" of Winter is upon us. Happy Solstice.

Comments

  1. Awesome Post O! My interest sparked when you said that your last 3 Decembers have been above average! Becuase, Just as you, The last 3 Decembers Including this one have been above normal so far! We also have a steady snowpack here as well. We have 8.0" of snow on the groun currently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All this talk makes me want to Compare our temps and preip, I sent you and email for November and Dec so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Derek. I received your email. I am entering your data as I type... sorta. :)

    I am looking forward to your forecast on this upcoming storm. (and of course your observations during and afterwards)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the animated .gif from 12/3 to 12/20 and watching the snow's weight impose itself on the branches of your neighbors pine tree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comment Ese_GB. Watching that branch during the daily movie during the 8-9 snowstorm is likable too as you can see it slowly gain weight from the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa! That left-side bar really messes with my brain!..

    Thanks again for the time lapse vids. Those are always fun to watch.

    I'm wondering if you have something on file that I can use for my 7th graders. When we come back from Christmas break, we're talking about large-scale storm systems and weather forecasting. All these winter storms have really piqued their interest. Do you have any US radar loops that shows a major snow storm over about a day or so? If you don't have time to look, it's okay. You were the first resource I thought of.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WxWatcher, I have what you seek. However, I was thinking that I would put together a loop of the entire month of December. When do you go back? Jan 4? If that's the case, it'll be worth the wait for you and the effort for me.

    Also, some US loops exist on the website. Some links are labeled as such as well. I recall linking two of them for snowstorms that occurred in the beginning of December in a comment on WeatherScouts blog.

    Let me know what you think about the December loop. What OS do you use at school? Win or Mac?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You rock, OSNW3. Thank you so much!

    We get back on the 4th, and I use windows here. The December loop would be wonderful if you get time!

    Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment