November Warmth

November of 2009 has come in like a lion. Pleasant weather with above average temps and sunny skies. The sites and sounds of yard clean-up are all around. The weather pleasantries are forecast to continue into the week as well. This puts a strain on some of the predictions for this upcoming Winter at OSNW3.
(OSNW3 November Observations)

(OSNW3 November 1-8 Summary)

(click on graph for the summary data - it will open a new tab/window)

----

The Growing Season 2009
As I was adding the most recent images to my "green up" time lapse, I wondered what exactly it was I was trying to do with them. The first idea that came to mind was to present a "growing season". I am unsure of the possibilities, but one thing is certain, our first freezes are easily noticeable and I think that is pretty cool.

(The Growing Season 2009)

(click the image for 640x480 - 32M)

----

Front Of House
I Cut the lawn for the last time this season. From what I can tell, this cut would be cut number 8. Winter is near, I can sense it. :)

(FOH - Nov 8, 2009)

Comments

  1. Cut number EIGHT? Lucky..

    Very cool growing season time lapse! The rising and falling motion during July and August is akin to a time lapse of cumulus clouds. Thanks for putting that together, it's very fun to watch. You see something new each time!

    So, you're guessing no 1" snowfalls this Saturday, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WxWatcher, I am glad you like the time lapse. I enjoy watching it over and over again. My neighbor cleaned out his garden quickly after the first freeze. :)

    I am guessing that there will be no snow until later this month... however, looking at the long range GFS, it hints at a storm rolling through on the 17th that will bring some precip with the cold air on the backside. Snow, perhaps?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're thinking a TOTAL LOOP-DE-LOOP?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I peek at a long range forecast and get excited if it's predicting cool and snowy weather. A day makes a big difference and what I wrote to WxWatcher less than 24 hours ago is no longer in the model.

    TOTAL LOOP-DE-LOOP! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any time lapse I enjoy. Is that a veggie patch near the fence - Nice growing season. The appearance of the wood pile is great.

    A question: there is a one-sided cross arm on your "weather pole." I noticed it changed - what is it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bob, yep, the area behind the fence is my neighbors garden. The one sided cross arm is there to hang the "wind ribbon" from. The webcam needed something to provide motion and I figured the "wind ribbon" would be the easiest way. It has changed a few times since conception. This latest rendition is an upgrade, so it's nice that you noticed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know you need to take these long-range forecasts with a grain of salt, but in looking at one it looks like you may have a white Thanksgiving (followed by some ice?) Hopefully you'll get some white on the ground before December.

    Boy our "first snow" guesses are all blown out of the water, eh?

    Enjoy CA

    ReplyDelete
  8. WxWatcher, it seems we under estimated mother nature this go around. She's holding out! The models are still showing precip in my neck of the woods with the 540 line well to our south. Looks like you'll be in the cold air pocket as well.

    Glad to be back in the "land of the free". I don't know about you, but when I am in CA, I feel like I am doing something wrong just walking down the sidewalk. There are a ton of "rules" in CA and every where you look "they" are telling what to do and what not to do. I think it's a bit OTT (over the top). Regardless... weather was nice. I actually saw some clouds and felt a rain drop while I was there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment