Oshkosh's Top Ten Coolest Octobers

Temperatures have been below average all around the Midwest so far this month, and because of it, regional NWS offices have been hard at work comparing this year to previous years. The NWS GRB ranked the top 5 coolest starts to October for Wausau, Green Bay, Appleton and Rhinelander. See data here. The NWS MKE ranked the top 10 coolest starts to October for Milwaukee and Madison. See data here. Neither of the offices reported on Oshkosh, so I felt it necessary to rank our top 10 coolest Octobers. After a few hours massaging the mother load of daily observations for Oshkosh since 1893 (see data here - 11M) I was able to parse out rankings of the mean temps for the month of October. Currently October of 2009 is the sixth coolest. The Rankings are listed below.

(Oshkosh's Top Ten Coolest Octobers)


Along with the rankings, I parsed out the actual daily observations from those years. Each of the years data tells a different story, but yet have one thing in common. It was chilly. To see the daily observations for the top 10 coolest Oshkosh Octobers please click here.

With it only being the 21st day of the month, it is conceivable that the mean temperature for October in 2009 could drop a degree and put it into the top five. However, 7 day forecasts are predicting max temps in the low 50's, most likely putting the kabash to that idea. I will revisit these rankings at the end of the month. It's been a fun little project.

----

To see what the persistent cold air mass has done in MO, please see WxWatcher's entry here.

Comments

  1. Whoa, check out 1952. 2.7" in the middle of October. I like snow, but I think that would really freak everyone out down here. What really impresses me is the rebound that happened between the 17th and 18th. From 18° to 61°...quite a spread. More typical of January down here. Check out our January 09 graph here

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm beginning to think that our Winter could come in Nov., then warmer weather could prevail from December thru February. Talk about a change from September to October, it's crazy! Not sure where Duluth ranks in terms of coldest Octobers but the avg. temp was just 38.6 degrees at the Airport thru the 15th, I'll get an update on that Today, I'm sure it has changed a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. October 30, 1925 was the coldest low temperature of all your entries at 8°F. Are there any recorders that explain that sharp cold event?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait, have I won???

    LOL. Glad my WC post made you smile. It frustrates the patootie out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WxWatcher, this October in Northwestern WI some areas have had over 5" fall, some almost 10". We haven't had any accumulation this far south and east yet. The rebound you mention suits your Jan weather perfectly.

    Tim, I'll take a warmer Winter as that means more chances for weather. With cold Winters there is just too much lack of moisture... and then Superior freezes up and the LES machine shuts down and our trips to the UP become less significant later in the Winter. :)

    Bob, I studied the weather maps of 10/28-31, 1925 and it looks like there must've been a solid N/NW flow due to the jetstream and a HI located in Iowa helping the cold air mass into the Great Lakes region. See for yourself by visiting the link below. Thanks for the muse, that was a fun study.

    NOAA Central Library
    U.S. Daily Weather Maps Project


    Dewdrop, no winners yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. O, I'm just letting you know that I have decided to try CocoRaHS, I have joined.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OSNW3, It has been cooler than normal down here. We had a break in the rain this past weekend which was our weekend to fly training exercises. It was fun, though I have alot to learn before being fully qualified as a mission scanner. Got to try my hand at aerial photography. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. SuzieE, that's great news! I'd like to see your aerial photography... is this possible?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment