Autumn Has Arrived

October is beginning just as any Autumn fanatic, like myself, would have it begin. A lingering Low pressure system positioned over the Great Lakes keeping the weather cloudy, cool, and wet. Three out of the first four days of October saw accumulating rain with temperatures topping out below average. We had our first frost of the season the day before October started, but it was followed up with a light frost on Oct 1 (Winter History - First & Lasts).
(OSNW3 October Observations)


(Temp Comparison 2008 / 2009 | October 1 - 4)
Max Avg: 57.6 / 57.2 / -0.4
Min Avg: 40.4 / 40.9 / +0.5


(October 2009 Precipitation | October 1 - 4)
2009 Monthly Total
Precip.. 0.58"
Snow.... 0.0"
Oshkosh Average
Precip.. 2.20"
Snow.... 0.1"
Departure
Precip.. -1.62"
Snow.... -0.1"

----

Millers Bay
I had a few extra minutes to spare on Oct 4, so I took a bike ride over to Millers Bay. I snapped the usual photos to merge into a panoramic. The dock was jam packed with seagulls when I rode up, but as I approached about half of them flew off. The rest of park area is filled with Canadian Geese, per usual this time of year.

(Millers Bay - Oct 4, 2009)


----

Front Of House
Change is in the air. Autumn is feeling just right...

(FOH - Oct 4, 2009)


(Tree Across The Street - Oct 4, 2009)


----
----

OSNW3 September 2009 Climate Summary

Temperature--
(Temp Comparison | September 1 - 30)

2008 / 2009
Max Avg: 70.6 / 72.7 / +2.1
Min Avg: 55.9 / 54.0 / -1.9
--

(September 2009 Temperature | September 1 - 30)

OSNW3 2009 Average
Avg Hi... 72.7
Avg Low.. 54.0
Oshkosh Average
Avg Hi... 70.9
Avg Low.. 50.9
Departure
Avg Hi... +1.8
Avg Low.. +3.1
--

(September 2007-2009 Mean Temperature)

--

(OSNW3 Dog Days 2009)




For graphs of 2007 and 2008 click on the respected year.
--

Precipitation--
(September 2009 Precipitation | September 1 - 30)

2009 Monthly Total
Precip.. 1.59"
Oshkosh Average
Precip.. 3.47"
Departure
Precip.. -1.88"
--

(OSNW3 Precipitation Through September 2009)



--

Other--
Sunshine was abundant this September with two complete overcast days (Days with Sun). We recorded 0 t-storms at OSNW3 in September which keeps our yearly total to 16. The monthly low temperature, Monthly Extremes, was overtaken this September at OSNW3 as the overnight low on Sep 30 dropped to 33.4°, and so was the maximum precipitation as 0.70" of rain fell on Sep 21. For more daily climate information about September at OSNW3, click here.

----

Other September Climate Summaries...
CoCoRaHS Station MO-CW-1 (Fulton, MO).
WX Ranger NW (Lincoln County, WA).
Tim's Weather Blog (Duluth, MN).

Comments

  1. OSN I saw you were going to comment on my fall color report post but you removed it, I was wondering what you said? could you go back and re comment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, D... I was posting about the tree across the street, but last year my photo was from Oct 7 that I wanted to compare so I decided to wait until then to show you the comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always and what I’ve grown to expect, an in-depth and insightful monthly report on your blog. I am looking forward to the New Year so I can begin some comparisons. I’m willing to bet that this winter will be rather different.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another stellar post, OSNW3. I like the photos of the bay. I wish I had more time to explore Oshkosh when we were up there, you've got some great lakefront areas to enjoy.

    Is that a burning bush in the front of your house? I'm surprised I don't see any color on it. I wonder if the lack of precipitation from late Aug - early September will have any affect on this year's color timetable and intensity. Looking at your precip summary, it seems you had a similar situation with a dry (VERY dry) beginning of September. I was surprised to see above average temperatures, however.

    I like the trend I see on the "Dog Days" graph! I'm a fan of the types of summers we've been having the past two years. Bring it on.

    Bob, I look forward to seeing your comparisons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys...

    Bob, are you betting on the over or under of the approaching Winter season? Watching TWC this morning I saw on one of their forecast maps that there is a potential for snow in Northern MN and WI... it would be sweet if we saw your first flakes of the season in the next seven days! Looks like the Montana got pounded with some heavy snows...

    WxWatcher, there is always next year. If you plan on coming up for the EAA next year or any other year after, we plan on renting our home out for the week. It is a burning bush. It's a late changer as far as I know... it was burning red the first weekend of November last year. This evening I'll have a comparison image of the tree across the street from last year to this year. There is a difference. Agreed on the Dog Days. Just 3 days less than last year... but with a lot less days above 80.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all your charts. You're so dedicated!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OSNW3... We has the opposite in terms of rain. 8.27 in and Nashville 11.08 in
    Our burning bush is starting to display very bright reds...
    Am hoping for a dry spell toward the end of Oct so that the flying part of our SAREX is a go.

    TN-ML-13

    ReplyDelete
  8. SuzieE, our burning bush is changing over ever so slowly... there will be more color to it in this weekends FOH shot I assure you. That's a lot of rain... and please tell me more about the flying part of the SAREX?!

    Dewdrop, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you have checked my profile ..I am -all 4 of us are - in CAP (Civil Air Patrol - gocivilairpatrol.com). SAREX = training exercise.
    I have been asked to train as a mission scanner which entails scanning the ground from the air = flying :) Last spring, CAP flew some of the NWS people around to do an air survey of tornado in Rutherford Co TN.
    CAP also was one of the first to fly around the World Trade Center Disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...let me add damage after tornado....

    ReplyDelete
  11. SuzieE, now that is exciting!! I hope the weather cooperates for your training!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...it's good to see the snowboard on the live cam again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment