Another Dry September

The first 20 observed days of September brought nothing to the rain gauge. With that said, September of 2009 is not far behind 2008, continuing the dryness of the past 2 years for the month. Just .08" behind 2008, we are considerably below the Oshkosh average for September (Annual Precipitation). Temperatures have been above average for the most part the entire month, but a cool down is in the near forecast. (OSNW3 September Observations)

(Temp Comparison 2008 / 2009 | September 1 - 27)
Max Avg: 71.1 / 73.7 / +2.6
Min Avg: 56.1 / 55.4 / -0.7



(September 2009 Precipitation | September 1 - 27)
2009 Monthly Total
Precip.. 1.23"
Oshkosh Average
Precip.. 3.47"
Departure
Precip.. -2.24"



----

Consecutive Days Without Precipitation
This past dry spell has become the longest ever observed at OSNW3.

1. Aug 31, 2009 - Sep 20, 2009 (21 days)
2. Feb 5, 2007 - Feb 23, 2007 (19 days)
3. Apr 2, 2009 - Apr 18, 2009 (17 days)

(OSNW3 - Consecutive Days Without Precipitation)


----

Cloud Appreciation
We were on our usual walk before the rain came on the evening of Sep 25, and I saw some cloud formations I do not usually see. With our household now up to date with 2005 technology I have a cell phone with a camera in it and was able to put it to good use.

(Looking Southwest - Sep 25, 2009)


(Looking West - Sep 25, 2009)


----

Front Of House
Two weeks ago at this time I was thinking we were ahead of schedule as far as color was concerned. After a trip to CA for work and now being back in Oshkosh I realized that this is not the case. The trees that had color when I left are loosing their leaves but the majority haven't changed since.

(FOH - Sep 27, 2009)


(Tree Across The Street - Sep 27, 2009)


As I type this we are under a Wind Advisory. This is the most wind I've experienced in some time. Wish I had the anemometer up and running... for up to the minute conditions here on the north side of Oshkosh please visit Mike Davey's Northeast Oshkosh WI Weather Station .

----

:: Addendum - High Winds & Large Waves On Winnebago
With the winds being as they were and my day proving to be spent waiting for software to load on an olden XP machine, I decided to take a stroll to the other side of Lake Winnebago on my "lunch hour". First stop was the end of Faro Springs Road and then a short hike in High Cliff State Park.

(Eastern Shore Of Lake Winnebago - Sep 28, 2009)


More photos of this event in the OSNW3 Picasa Web Album, located here.

Comments

  1. You aren't kidding when you say it's been a dry September. I haven't been keeping track of synoptic scale weather patterns...do you know what caused your arid month? I know the jet stream was hung up north of the nation, which caused those pesky upper level lows in AR/TN, and CO during the month. Maybe that same scenario caused some high pressure to stagnate in your area. Three weeks without rain...that is nuts.

    Very cool pictures of the clouds. Could you see lots of movement within the feature?

    When I was searching for a weather station, the anemometer was a must. I just had to have one. Do you have a good place to put it? I fear that my wind data gets skewed with the increasing number of houses in the area. With the addition of my neighbor's 6' privacy fence and a home to our north, my readings have dropped considerably. Still working on my wife to get a tall extension for the roof. ;o) Not seeing that happen any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WxWatcher, yes, with the Jet way up north we were stuck under high pressure. I remember many days with warm sw winds... glad that's over. Today is completely opposite. I added some content at the end of this entry about today.

    Thanks, the clouds were not moving quickly. It pretty much looked like a painting...

    I need to get on the first story roof and then mount a bracket coming off the side of the second story to reach far enough above to make it legit. I want it so I can have a wind chill reading during the Winter... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Great post, I had not idea that Lake Winneabango (spelling) looked lik that, It almost looks like Lake Superior with those waves! We are dealing with High winds again today here in Western Wisconsin. there have been some reports today of winds up to 46MPH but it is still not as windy as yesterday was! I have some cleaning up to do in the yard when this wind slows down. Oh yeah, We are looking at a possible Freeze here Tues Night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those are some wicked waves. You guys sure are stuck under a large shield of clouds and heavy wind.

    Speaking of first freeze, the Midwest Climate Watch website has a map following the "first freeze" in the upper midwest. It updates daily, and there are already some freezes recorded in WI.

    HERE is the image.

    Not ready for any freezes here. We might flirt with the 30s tomorrow or Thursday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Derek. HAHA, Winnea-"bango", that makes me laugh. I wouldn't mind seeing some frost tomorrow morning. I need to get my anemometer up so we can compare gusts! AH!

    WxWatcher, that map is awesome! Thanks for the linkage! Potential frost at my place tonight. I have no differences with it occurring. It's basically right on time... The growing season for my house is over anyways. Our peppers are still growing, but everything else is done.

    The large shield of clouds is gone now. The wind is still around but certainly not as strong and is more out of the north.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a false clearing... apparently. Been mostly cloudy since late this AM... and a look at the sat would tell me that we are indeed still under the blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our neck of the woods has been dry as well...

    Great cloud structure. Love the texture and movement. I love it when you can see the shear.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post! September was incredibly dry. I was kinda hoping we could go the whole month with no rain. ;)

    Sweet pictures of the clouds!

    Cool link to that guy's weather station website! I really need to get an anemometer soon. :)

    Once again, very nice post!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dewdrop, usually I don't know technically what I am looking at, only that it looks interesting and I want to document it. You know, like the blue streak... :)

    Scout, thanks man!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment