The Pattern Persists

As soon as the heat came, it went. Since this past Winter, Tim (Tim's Weather Blog), has been preaching the consistent NW pattern would stick with us. No matter how much I didn't want to believe him, he was and is correct. My guts told me August and September would be hot, August was for a few days, but overall ended up being the coolest August on record here at OSNW3. I am up for whatever is thrown our way this September (as always), which brings great excitement as September is my most favorite month.
(OSNW3 August Observations)

----

OSNW3 August 2009 Climate Summary

Temperature--
(Temp Comparison | August 1 - 31)

2008 / 2009
Max Avg: 77.5 / 75.7 / -1.8
Min Avg: 61.2 / 60.7 / -0.5
-

(August 2009 Temperature | August 1 - 31)

OSNW3 2009 Average
Avg Hi... 75.7
Avg Low.. 60.7
Oshkosh Average
Avg Hi... 79.1
Avg Low.. 59.8
Departure
Avg Hi... -3.4
Avg Low.. +0.9
-

(August 2007-2009 Mean Temperature)

-

(OSNW3 Dog Days Through August 2009)

-

Precipitation--
(August 2009 Precipitation | August 1 - 31)

2009 Monthly Total
Precip.. 3.75"
Oshkosh Average
Precip.. 4.15"
Departure
Precip.. -0.40"
-

(OSNW3 Precipitation Through August 2009)



-

Other--
Sunshine was abundant this August with one complete overcast day (Days with Sun). We recorded 5 t-storms at OSNW3 in August which brings our yearly total to 16. The monthly low temperature, Monthly Extremes, was overtaken this August at OSNW3 as the overnight low on Aug 29 dropped to 48.0°. For more daily climate information about August at OSNW3, click here.

----

Other August Climate Summaries...
CoCoRaHS Station MO-CW-1 (Fulton, MO)
WX Ranger NW (Lincoln County, WA)
Tim's Weather Blog (Duluth, MN).

Comments

  1. Even I'm amazed at how persistent this northwest or northerly flow aloft has been, it really has been incredible! I was hoping for long lasting heat waves over the Summer, but I think that possibility is fading now, considering were into September. I really enjoy transition months, for me it would be the months of October&November...Then the period from April thru June. I'm looking forward to the first real Fall storm to whip up the winds/waves on Western Lake Superior!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, why is September your favorite month? I enjoy the color, smell, and crisp air of the month myself. It is a welcomed change from the humidity that persists in our lungs during the summer. This year has been wonderful, however. Sunday's temperatures were more reminiscent of mid-October for our area! I'll have my summary up tomorrow. It looks much like yours.

    Won't be long now till we talk snow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Timothy, agreed. I wasn't hoping for the long lasting heat wave, but regardless... it is incredible. :) I am also excited about the first storm to whip up waves... either here on Winnebago or Michigan... I even plan to make a day trip to Superior (Marquette Area) if it presents itself!

    WxWatcher, because it's football season, school is starting, crisp clean air is abundant... the leaves are changing... it's my birth month... etc. It's gonna get colder soon, but just last Saturday, I was wearing long johns and a chook while golfing in Northern WI. It was 55 and rainy. I probably wouldn't have worn LJ's if it were Spring, but coming off of Summer, 55 is a bit chilly with winds and rain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. October is my favorite month. I can still recall the burning leaves in people’s yards as I rode my paper route as a kid; the sweet, pungent smell is still strong in my mind today. The weather is not “iffy” in October - it’s getting cool and winter is just around the corner. It’s also a great time to catch up on those last items needing attention in the yard.

    I’ve been working on some comparative charts and will post them next month. Eventually, I’ll have a deeper data base to tap and the comparatives will be much easier to produce.

    If you haven’t already, take a look at the Yellowstone pictures I posted…

    Bob
    WX Ranger NW

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment