The Heat Is On

Just as I suspected. August is repaying us for a cool July. I am certain my weather stations hygrometer isn't the most accurate, but with a reading of a 75.8° dew point and a temperature of 85.8° on Aug 9 there is no denying it was HOT. Temperatures are forecast to be above average for the next seven days and for some of the population out there, "it's finally starting to feel like summer". We had a brief bout with lightning and thunder a few nights ago which brought some 3am excitement. As the storms rolled through during the early morning of Aug 8, the threatening sights and sounds seemed everlasting. Beneficial rain greeted us at observation time which put smiles on all our faces. (OSNW3 August Observations)

(Temp Comparison 2008 / 2009 | August 1 - 12)
Max Avg: 78.0 / 77.6 / -0.4
Min Avg: 60.8 / 62.2 / -1.4



(August 2009 Precipitation | August 1 - 12)
2009 Monthly Total
Precip.. 1.91"
Oshkosh Average
Precip.. 4.15"
Departure
Precip.. -2.24"



----

Oshkosh City Tournament
Since the early 1930's, the city of Oshkosh has held an annual city golf tournament. I'm fortunate enough to have been participating in it since 2005. This weekend is the big weekend for 2009. 170 participants will battle through a two day 36 hole grind. I say grind because it's going to be warm. Warmer than the past four, from what I can remember...

(Weekend Forecast)
Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 86.
Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 87.


(City Tournament Weather since 2005)


For information on the tournament please visit the Lakeshore Municipal Golf Course website. Good luck to all the golfers!!

Comments

  1. I know you don't like the heat/humidity, but we need at least one mini heat wave every Summer, don't you think? I'm enjoying it, lol, but I'm weird in liking this hot/muggy/hazy weather. Stay cool, and I'm pretty sure this mini heat spell won't last very long considering how the pattern has been since last Winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Timothy, yeah... it really sucks when you're on a golf course and the sun is beating down on you and you can barely breathe cause the air is so thick. :)

    I see the extended outlooks are calling for below average temps. I am excited for the cooler temps and lower dew points so we can open the windows again... the house is closed up all Winter, I dislike having it closed up during the Summer. :)

    Don't get me wrong, though, I love Summer no matter what the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck to the golfers indeed! 36holes? Tremendous! And I get sick of the game after 9 holes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll need it Chris (and so will the others), as this year I dream of winning my flight. Last year I finished tied for 2nd. It's gonna be brutal out there tomorrow though, teeing off at 1030, I'll be making the turn and playing the back nine during the hottest part of the day. Hopefully on Sunday it's cloudy and I tee off earlier in the morning. :)

    The heat won't stop me from biking to and from the course both days though. Me and my towcaddy are going places!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did the tournament go? Not too hot for you all up there, I hope. We can't complain here, we've been seeing more of the same below-average temps for most of August, and the weekly outlook looks awesome! I saw this morning mention of upper 70s by the weekend!!

    It's a good sight on our temperature graphs seeing the "average" lines making their annual descent downwards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WxWatcher, the tournament went awesomely. It was windy each day so the heat on Saturday wasn't as bad and on Sunday it was mainly cloudy with a few showers. The heat was never really an issue as predicted early in the week. Personally, for me to sum up the weekend as far as golf goes, golf is a humbling game. I took 18th in my flight shooting 81/85 for a two day total of 166. Last year I shot 158. :)

    The week ahead looks fantastic! I know the temps are waning as I start football this week. Woo!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment