A Pleasant July Thus Far

The first half of July has kept us dry (state drought monitor) and temperatures have been amazing. From what I can recall about July, regardless of the climate averages, it's always been hot and dry. The dryness of this July, in my opinion, is expected... but the temperatures, well they are a surprise, and a welcomed one at that. With these fabulous temps comes great uncertainty that they will last and my guts are telling me to expect a hot August and early September. (OSNW3 July Observations)

(Temp Comparison 2008 / 2009 | July 1 - 19)
Max Avg: 79.6 / 75.0 / -4.6
Min Avg: 62.2 / 59.4 / -2.7



(July 2009 Precipitation | July 1 - 19)
2009 Monthly Total
Precip.. 0.37"
Oshkosh Average
Precip.. 3.58"
Departure
Precip.. -3.21"



----

Heat Wave July 13-14, 1936

Earlier this past week my buddy Rebecca Schuld (WFRV-TV Meteorologist) and I were discussing the heat wave that hit WI during early July back in 1936 (blog entry). Temperatures topped the 100° mark several days with short stints of consecutive days. Looking back at the Daily Weather Maps of July 13 & 14, 1936 which brought the all-time record heat, it would seem the Missouri Valley was the culprit as a Low Pressure moved NE into our area.

(Oshkosh Obs | July 6-15, 1936)


(Daily Weather Map | July 13, 1936)


(Daily Weather Map | July 14, 1936)


(Oshkosh Obs | All-time 100° Temps)


For more information on the Heatwave of July 1936...
The Heatwave of July 1936 - NWS LaCrosse, WI
1936 North American heat wave - Wikipedia

----

Record Low Maximum
With the talk of the past heat wave, it's only fitting that we were near all-time low max temperatures for July. The July 17th all-time record low max, 65° set back in 1939, was not broken here at OSNW3 unfortunately as we recorded 66.0°. Trending the max temperatures for the remainder of the month, history would tell us that we'll rebound and things will not stay this way for any extended period of time. July of 2009 has proven to be "cool" as only one daily max has hit the average.

7/14/1939- 78, 65, M
7/15/1939- 75, 49, M
7/16/1939- 75, 55, M

7/17/1939- 65, 58, 0.24


7/18/1939- 80, 61, 0.02
7/19/1939- 80, 59, M
7/20/1939- 82, 58, M
7/21/1939- 80, 63, M
7/22/1939- 85, 67, M
7/23/1939- 90, 57, M
7/24/1939- 94, 66, M
7/25/1939- 91, 68, 0.05
7/26/1939- 98, 67, M
7/27/1939- 94, 68, M
7/28/1939- 90, 63, 0.63
7/29/1939- 86, 53, M
7/30/1939- 78, 57, M
7/31/1939- 97, 63, M

----

Bears!
A large Black Bear was photographed on our land. I was amazed when my Step-Father sent these photos to me. This Bear is huge! They named him Yogi.









----

Front Of House
I have not cut the grass since my last entry. That keeps me at four times this year.

(FOH - July 19, 2009)

Comments

  1. Love the old archived maps from the 1930s! Well, at least someone has been enjoying this unusually cool Summer so far..lol. And btw: Personally, I think this cool weather is going to last right thru August...and then it may start to warm-up after that...but by then Fall will be knocking on the door, so yea I think this could end up being a Summer w/o a couple day stretch of real hot/humid weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the picutres of the old maps! And I thought it was neat about the bear story. I've only seen a bear once around my area of Wis. About this Summer, It's been ok but the past 2 days were terrilbe weather wise, only highs in the low 60s. I think it at least needs to be warmer then that! I do hope it gets hot, I like at least a few days of hot weather. Your lawn looks kinda brown compared to ours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bears...my parents and I had an "interesting" experience with them up at Boundary Waters in MN. I think if I had a pic like that appear on my game cam, I'd find a different place to hunt! :o)

    I appreciate the vintage map! Where do you find these? I can't imagine 100 degree days in WI.

    We haven't--to my knowledge--hit 100 since summer of 07 here.
    ...I'll do some investigating.

    I'll have to do a count on lawn mowing next year. I'm sure it's in the teens by now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim, I certainly have been enjoying these temps of late. If it lasts through August, I will not mind. We've already had a hot/humid stretch back in June. I still think we'll get some more.

    D, opinions on likeness of weather are relative. Climate averages are constantly changing, who is to say any day during any season needs to be someway or another? ;) Indeed, our grass is crunchy and becoming brown. I refuse to water. :)

    WxWatcher, Bears and Owls are my favorite animals. My cousins received Bear hunting permits. I believe the idea is to take out Yogi when the season starts. You up for some Bear Burgers?! You can find every single daily map ever created by clicking on the link "Daily Weather Maps" in the blog entry. Do it, I dare you! You should research your 100's. As you can see in the entry, Oshkosh has only had the mercury rise to 100+, 33 times in it's recorded history. That is not very often. Like I told D, I refuse to water, and w/o rain, the grass doesn't grow. :) When are you coming to town for the EAA?! If you have a chance to break away from the action, I'd like to meet up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OSNW3, Even in TN we are enjoying the cooler temps. It is nice to have a cool day or two to catch-up on lawn chores since we have 2.38 acres to care for and even with two riding mowers we can barely keep one up let alone two. My children are getting rich with all the mowing chores.

    Cool bear pictures!
    I have my share of varmits in the smaller variety, like deer, groundhog, skunk, possum, coons, bunnie, hawks, wild turkey, and fox for starters. Right now I am in battle with a groundhog that keeps eating my broccoli, tomatoes, and squash. I guess I'll fatten him up for groundhog stew.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bear burgers sound great! Deer burger is a staple in our diet down here (with the size of deer up there, I'm sure it is to you all, too).

    My dad and I are driving up there Friday night (31st) and camping out at the airport. I'll talk to him and see what our schedule looks like. Maybe Sat night or Sunday. It'd be great to meet up...I can give you a call when we're up there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SuzieE, 2.38 acres is a lot to keep up with! I am happy that you are enjoying the cool spell. You have a good variety of critters, I especially like seeing skunks and foxes. They're elusive. It's unfortunate about the groundhog. Our garden is starting to produce as we've got jalapenos ready to pick and some cherry tomatoes about to turn red.

    WxWatcher, yes we eat our fair share of venison. I dig the jerky the most. We're going up to Marquette, MI on Friday the 31st and returning Sunday the 2nd. How long will you be in town?

    ReplyDelete
  8. OSNW3,

    I remember that day we found out about those old-time maps! They were awesome!

    The bear on the cam is cool too!

    Overall, another great post by OSNW3. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Scout, indeed, Jan 24, 2008. Yeah, that Bear is huge, imo, and thanks for the kind words, man!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OSNW3, are you getting some storms today?

    ReplyDelete
  11. WxWatcher, yes, but they split awfully quick. We had a t-storm roll thru yesterday as well. EAA got wet today, but nothing the thousands of people out there cannot handle. Flights are going off as schedule as I can tell, even with the low ceilings. :) (like I know anything about aviation)

    The recent rains will help things be less arid for you when you arrive this coming weekend! Enjoy!!

    And... with the complex of storms today (they looked ominous) we received more rain from yesterdays two storms that lasted 1/12 the time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My brother and dad were listening to the control tower (via internet site) when I got done with work today. The controller was giving weather reports to the pilots entering the air space and it didn't sound too bad. He kept saying that there were some heavy storms off to your west. There sure is a lot of traffic up there! I'm excited to be a part of it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. No I am not going to the UP anytime soon. My grandma is still recovering from her hip replacement. Great bear pics by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WxWatcher, lots of traffic indeed. It's an exciting time in Oshkosh! Weather is pleasant today, and it looks like it will stay this way, but as we all know, it'll change.

    Chris, I know that it takes a grandmother a bit of time to recover from such a surgery. I wish her a speedy and full recovery. We'll be biking and hiking and eating and drinking while in MQT. We may even take in a show at the Lake Superior Theatre and mingle around the Marquette Maritime Museum. With the readings of the Superior Heartland book I have many places I want to visit and photograph as well. We'll be busy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Holy cow on the bear!!!

    Sorry about your golf being taken away... senseless... they must not forecast the Oshkosh-void. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a really nice bear – maybe a little exercise is needed? I just got back from two weeks in North Cascades National Park. Not a vacation, I was working on a wildland fire detail.

    Didn’t see any bears though they are plentiful there. I did see some Mountain goats, a very young bobcat, lots of deer, and several species of birds. The park experienced record breaking temperatures (this past weekend into the first of this week). Seattle, which is not that far from the park, set recorders too - humidity was high. We’ve had highs temperatures more than half this month that were in the 90’s. Only five days of rain – total 0.58”.

    Off to Yellowstone N.P. on Aug. 4. I’ll be there for two weeks. Not a vacation, I will be working as a Volunteer-In-Parks (VIP) at the National Park Ranger Museum in the Norris Geyser Basin. Anyone around that area drop by and say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bob, it sure was hot out by you. I am glad it hasn't been like that here. Now that I say that though, it's gonna get sultry next week, watch. Enjoy your VIP work, keep safe, and please take photos!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment