It's July Already?!

One thing is for certain, Summer time flies by in Wisconsin. During the Winter months things seem to meld into a "hibernation" mode with people spending more time at home and doing things slowly. That all changes completely when Summer arrives. GO GO GO is the way of the land. Weekends are rarely spent at home... with a festival here and a festival there, a party here a party there, birthdays, reunions, holidays, etc... I believe we are nearing the peak of craziness. Weather trends towards the "not so exciting" spectrum this time of year, with plenty of sunshine, warm temperatures, and the occasional downpour lasting only minutes.

----

June Summary
June was a month of ups and downs. Extreme cool and extreme heat. On June 7 OSNW3 recorded a min temp of 46.2 which broke the previous min of 50.5 set on June 6, 2007. On June 24 OSNW3 recorded a max temp of 93.5 which broke the previous max of 86.9 set on June 27, 2007 (Monthly Extremes). Precipitation made it slightly above monthly average totaling 3.74". We had 2 thunderstorms roll through which brings the yearly total to 7. We experienced 27 days with at least a peak of sunshine while the remaining 3 were completely overcast (Days with Sun).
(OSNW3 June Observations)

(Temp Comparison 2008 / 2009 | June 1 - 30)
Max Avg: 75.1 / 74.1 / -1.0
Min Avg: 59.2 / 58.0 / -1.2



(June 2009 Precipitation | June 1 - 30)
2009 Monthly Total
Precip.. 3.74"
Oshkosh Average
Precip.. 3.66"
Departure
Precip.. +0.08"



----

Dog Days of Summer
For 6 consecutive days from June 20 through June 25 we experienced what we here at OSNW3 call "Dog Days". With dewpoints in the 70's and temps in the 80's and 90's, not even the shade could keep you from sweating during the day. At night, there was no relief from the sticky warm air which meant the windows remained closed and the AC remained running. BAH!

(OSNW3 - Dog Days thru June 30, 2009)




Staying with this theme, WxWatcher compared our June daily temperatures. A striking contrast is displayed by the graph below. If you caught any of Chris's Missouri climate posts you'll gain a good idea why such an extreme contrast exists between MO and WI.

(June 2009 Temperature Compare | MOCW1, OSNW3)


----

Front Of House
Since Jun 14, I've cut the grass once. That puts me at four times this year.

(FOH - July 2, 2009)


My continuation of the "Webcam Green-up".

(High Noon, Apr 11 - Jun 30)

Comments

  1. You make a good point about summer, OSNW3. With all we do during these crazy months, it's no wonder it flies by! I have to make a conscious effort to s l o w down.

    Unfortunately, the weather can be a bit slow too. Our extended forecast shows a lot of sunshine...good for the serotonin levels - not much excitement, though!

    Speaking of sun, I like your "green-up" series. It provides a great picture of the sun angle reaching higher and higher in the sky as you watch the shadows. Pretty cool stuff...gets my teaching gears moving. That would be a good visual for the kids I think.

    I'm glad you're keeping tabs on the thunderstorm occurrences in your area. I presume that the summer months are the stormiest for you considering the position of the polar front.

    Great comparison graph, too. It is interesting to note that although the beginning of the month was all over the place, our trends mirrored eachother during the last half of the month. There were even some days that my low was greater than your high.

    How's the garden?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You only cut your grass 4 times this year! I'm cutting ours about 1 every two weeks! It's growing like crazy! I love this time of year. I really enjoy warmth and humidity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WxWatcher, good luck on slowing down. hehe. I don't mind the slowness of the weather as it provides ample time to golf. The sun angle thing, it's unfortunate that it's not always casting a shadow at noon... otherwise it would be an awesome tool, I agree. You inspired me to keep tabs on the t-storms. They are of such rare occurrence here that it was always a safe bet to guess a hand-full or two each year. I appreciate your efforts on putting the data together for the graph, I hope you don't mind that I took the graph to the next level, so to speak, for a visually easier comparison. I also agree that our trends to warmer temps were equal. The garden, well, yeah... it's there, it's growing, but keeping up with weeds and random grasses has fallen to the wayside. We have green tomatoes and some baby peppers but nothing substantial yet. How's your garden?

    D, yep, four times so far. We share lawnmowers with our neighbor and it was under repair for a week which allowed our grass to grow a bit taller than we'd like... so it should be five, but it's only four because we skipped one. Summer is an awesome season, I agree. I'd like to save my upper 80's and extreme dewpoints to my time on a tropical island though. I am happy that those conditions only come once and a while during a short period of time each year. :)

    Enjoy the holiday fellas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has definitely been hot the past week or so, and I'm lovin' the cooler weather.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The graph looks awesome. I put it together during my lunch break last week, and it was my first run with the new excel program. I like how you contrasted the two stations...made it much easier to read.

    I HEAR you on the weeds. I have been better this summer on keeping up with them, but they still get the upper hand on me. I think once I'm retired I'll come around and have the garden I always dream of. Have you heard of "Preen"? Our Assistant Superintendant uses that on her garden and swears by it. It is supposed to keep seeds from germinating, thereby eliminating most of your weeds for a couple of months.

    Our garden is doing well, though. The peas are done, beans are okay, we've picked 3 tomatoes so far as well as a handful of cherry tomatoes, and the peppers are all but ready to pick. Our oldest (almost three!) checks the "matoes" every morning to see if they're red. :o) Nothin better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. O, Is that tree yellow in your picutre of the yard? It really looks yellow to me?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scout, Thanks man, I've also been enjoying the cooler weather. We were in the UP for the holiday. Consistent NW wind off the lake we were on and night time lows dipping into the lower 40s kept things nice and cool. Love it.

    WxWatcher, I will try the Preen. Thanks for the suggestion. Also, it's good to hear your garden is producing well! Oh, and I sent you that radar loop of the 4th.

    D, Nice catch! I took that photo in the late evening. I am thinking it's a false feedback (or whatever) from the digital camera due to the sun setting. I know for sure that trees leaves are green. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OSNW3, Nice place! The kids and I check in once in a while to compare our climate with yours.

    You've only mowed 4/5 times!
    My son and daughter would be upset since they get paid each time they mow.

    Suzanne TN-ML-13

    ReplyDelete
  9. SuzieE, thanks for checking in and comparing our climates.

    I did a little research on TN-ML-13 and I gather it's away from the hustle and bustle and a quite place. I was surprised to see so many CoCoRaHS observers in your county and your surrounding area is chalked full of them. Very nice! Looks like your forecast is calling for highs near 90 and lows in the upper 60's... warm and muggy in my opinion, but I am assuming it's exactly what you'd expect this time of year. Around here a few locals are upset about the coolness of our Summer so far, but I welcome it and dread our next heat wave.

    Yes, your children would be broke by now if all they had was mowing my lawn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OSNW3, You've got it. Quiet and peaceful! Hot and Humid this time of year, but my garden loves it!
    It is fun to compare numbers with neighboring CoCoRaHS observers especially when a freaky snow storm hits or we get some really intense rain like today.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment