A Cool Start To June

The heat is on... inside the house. Temperatures were seasonable for the most part this past week with a weekly max of 77.0°, but no more then 12 hours after that reading the temperature fell 25° and then didn't move much the following day. Currently as I type this (15:30-Jun 7), the temp stands at 56.7° threatening yet another low max daily temperature record. Precipitation was light early in the week, but as the week came to an end a system pushed through dropping nearly a half inch of rain. Foliage is thick around here and it's getting close to my favorite part of Summer, when everything is at it's peak green. (OSNW3 June Observations)

(Temp Comparison 2008 / 2009 | June 1 - 7)
Max Avg: 72.0 / 69.1 / -2.9
Min Avg: 57.0 / 48.6 / -8.4



(June 2009 Precipitation | June 1 - 7)
2009 Monthly Total
Precip.. 0.45"
Oshkosh Average
Precip.. 3.66"
Departure
Precip.. -3.21"



----

Record Low Max Broken?
On June 6, 2009 OSNW3's recorded max temperature for the 24 hour period topped out at 54.7°. The all time record low max temperature for Oshkosh on June 6 is 55°, set back in 1943. Unofficially, if the data wasn't rounded, a new record would have been set. Even with a tie, it's abnormally cool for this time of year. Below is a graph of mean temperatures for June 1-7 dating back to 2000. Analyzing the data, 2001 comes in on top (or bottom) with a chilly mean temp of 53.4°. 2009 stands as the second coolest opening week of June since 2000.

(June 1-7 | Mean Temperature)


For the complete data set used for the summary, please click here.

----

Front Of House
No grass cutting took place this past week...

(FOH - June 7, 2009)


... and in honor of watching the grass grow, my continuation of the "Webcam Green-up".

(High Noon, Apr 11 - Jun 6)

Comments

  1. Yes the past 3 days have been very cool for this time of year, Saturday was 52 and Sunday was 51. I hope we break this cool pattern soon, But on the plus side we have been getting some much needed rain. I saw you comment about the Easter Cactus post. Maybe you should look into getting one there really neat plants to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Derek, it's supposed to climb into the upper 60's here today, which will feel dramatically warmer. I wore my Winter hat on our walk yesterday.

    We received 0.98" overnight. Also heard a few loud rumbles of thunder. The rain is nice as it has allowed us to not water the garden.

    I am seriously thinking about getting and Easter Cactus. Currently we do not have any flowering cacti in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have not been in the 60s seince Friday, There saying we will reach the 60s tomorrow. We have ended up with 2.00 inches of rain over the past 3 days. Very good.

    About the cactus, There kind of rare to find, You wont find them at places like Wal mart. I was lucky to have mine given to me by my aunt. I would recomend looking on Ebay, But watch out for what kind you buy, You might not be getting the same kind like you are wanting. Here is a link to a Easter Cactus that is the same color as mine. if you are interested. Let me know if you go though with it, or you find one in the local area!

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Orange-Easter-Cactus-Rhipsalidopsis-4-Pot-Rare_W0QQitemZ320376479629QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a97ed1f8d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm taking two things from this.
    1) I too love me some "peak green"
    and 2) You wore a stocking hat when it was 60 degrees?! I know you got ear problems, but dawg!? dawg?!

    For what it's worth, we've had high 70's for the past week or so, but irregularrly cold really. Some 3 am rain last week Tuesday got me dashing out in boxers to pull umbrella (ironic yes, but it's still very new) and pillows from harms way.

    This is fun....How do I start my own weather station?

    ReplyDelete
  5. D, it never made it to 60 yesterday. Third consecutive day with max temps in the 50's. Again we were very close to an all-time daily record low max temp. If my local flower/plant shop doesn't have what I am looking for... I'll wait until they do. Thanks for the tips!

    sk0, yes, "peak green" is a tasty time of year. It wasn't 60, it was like 56 and it just feels nice to be warm. What would you like to observe with your "weather station"?

    Best station for the $$$ La Crosse WS-2316U but there are devices that do less and cost less, like my Oregon Scientific temp gauge.

    I'd recommend you become a member of CoCoRaHS and do the precipitation manually.
    Become a CoCoRaHS Observer :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment