Memorial Day 2009

Just a tenth of an inch of precipitation fell this past week. Things do not seem dry currently, but if we fail to reach our average monthly precipitation mark with the remaining days I am sure the lack of precipitation will start to show. If that scenario transpires it will be the third straight May that has failed. Click here for the State Drought Monitor. Temperatures soared this past week as well. We recorded three consecutive days of 75° or above with one of those days breaking 80° here at OSNW3. (OSNW3 May Observations)

(Temp Comparison 2008 / 2009 | May 1 - 24)
Max Avg: 63.9 / 67.4 / +3.5
Min Avg: 44.3 / 48.9 / +4.6



(May 2009 Precipitation | May 1 - 24)
2009 Monthly Total
Precip.. 1.68"
Snow.... 0.0"
Oshkosh Average
Precip.. 2.96"
Snow.... T"
Departure
Precip.. -1.28"
Snow.... -T"



----

Past Memorial Day Climate
As a child I can remember plenty of Memorial Day weekends being cold and rainy. I recall jet skiing in 50° temperatures with a moderate rain. Wet suits were worn, no doubt. However, as I peek back to 2000 until now, it seems many of them have been quite warm and pleasant. Listed below are temperatures and precipitation amounts for each Memorial Day since 2000.

(Memorial Day Climate, 2000-2008)


----

Front Of House
The grass has been cut twice this growing season. Same as WX Ranger NW, which is kinda neat to think about as we live in completely different climates.

(FOH - May 24, 2009)


(Lilacs - May 24, 2009)

Comments

  1. Wow, from looking at 2006, it looks like you can get pretty warm on Memorial Day! It's been feeling a lot like summer lately with dew points in the mid-60s and temps in the mid-upper 80s.

    I hear you with the lack of rain. It doesn't seem like it has been an especially dry month, but the data tells a different story. I looked yesterday and saw that we had an 8 day dry spell during this warm weather. That wreaks havoc on our clay soils here...the garden is quick to get a hard layer on top. The only remedy is a nice slow soaking rain...which we should get today and tomorrow.

    We are also behind the mark for May. As of this morning, we have a deficit of -1.17. But the 1-3 day QPF says that we should reach that by mid week

    Memorial Day! Getting the garden in??

    ReplyDelete
  2. WxWatcher, Happy Memorial Day! For as good as my memory is (haha), I cannot recall what we did for Memorial Day in 2006. I'll have to consult my wife as, of course, she'll know. :) Then maybe I'll recall the heat of that day.

    Yeah, I've noticed that it's been warm down by you (hot to my standards) lately. Typical though, right?! The radar suggests you're getting some decent rain currently...

    The garden is in! Everything was planted by Saturday noon, before the light rains came. Watered it last night. It feels good! An assortment of peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, squash, and herbs. In 80+ days I'll be creating my salsa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is typical May weather. I checked out last year's stats, and although I don't have temperature data, I can tell it was sure wet. We had 6.99", which is 2.02" over average...of course the whole year was pretty much above average.

    Glad to hear the garden is in! Very nice selection I might add. I have a salsa garden as well with tomatoes (some heirloom), onions, peppers, beans, peas...and my daughter has her little garden with strawberries and marigolds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WxWatcher, the rest of my salsa ingredients I get from the Farmers Market. I was told I need to put a blackberry bush into our wild grass section of the garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I suggested in the entry, my memory of many Memorial Day weekends is cold and rainy. Well, yesterday, May 27, was just that. Temps in the low 50's with a light rain all day/night long. Temperatures this morning haven't moved much since yesterday and today is looking the same as 24 hours ago. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment