May Flowers

I was in Minneapolis for the week so my wife held down the obs in my absence. She provided great assistance with flawless technique. What I conclude from the observation data and the daily OSNW3 webcam movie is, it was much drier and sunnier than the previous week. While out in MPLS I noticed most, if not all, of the trees had leafed out already. It was a surprise to me, for when I left Oshkosh, less then 50% of the trees were even budding. As this weekend comes to a close here in Oshkosh most, if not all, the trees are budding with a handful of them leafed out. Allergy season is underway!
(OSNW3 May Observations)

(Temp Comparison 2008 / 2009 | May 1 - 3)
Max temp: 59.3 / 62.2 / +2.9
Min temp: 42.4 / 45.9 / +3.5



(May 2009 Precipitation | May 1 - 3)
2009 Monthly Total
Precip.. 0.14"
Snow.... 0.0"
Oshkosh Average
Precip.. 2.96"
Snow.... T"
Departure
Precip.. -2.82"
Snow.... -T"



----

OSNW3 - 2009 April Summary
I'm enjoying the monthly climate summaries the bloggers of the "weather blogs I read" have been putting out. In honor of them all (listed below), I took the time to do something of the same.

(Temperatures - w/ 2008 comparison)


(Mean Temperatures - 2007, 2008, 2009)


(Precipitation)


(Days with Sun)



No Monthly Extremes were overtaken this April. For more daily climate information about April at OSNW3, click here.

The Other April Climate Summaries...
CoCoRaHS Station MO-CW-1 (Fulton, MO)
WX Ranger NW (Lincoln County, WA)
Tim's Weather Blog (Duluth, MN)

----

Webcam Green-up
All this "green-up" talk got me wondering. How does it look through the OSNW3 webcam? Starting on Apr 11, 2009 it's evident some greening took place.

(High Noon, Apr 11 - May 3)

(Click for larger image)

----

Travels West
As I drove to Minneapolis on Apr 27, I snapped a shot of Rib Mountain. Still snow on the slopes as I drove back on May 1, but noticeably less.

(Rib Mountain, Wausau, WI - Apr 27, 2009)


----

Front Of House
The Magnolia Bush is flowering...

(FOH - May 3, 2009)

Comments

  1. The front of house picture this week is so much "greener" than last week's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. Soon I will cut the grass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy, you DID have quite the roller coaster ride during the end of the month...from the 19th on it looks like.

    To continue our humidity discussion, would you consider any of your summer as being "humid"? Or does the dry Canadian air keep you nice and comfy all summer?

    Front yard is looking nice. I like the Birch tree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WxWatcher. June, July & August (sometimes September) bring a bunch of humid days with temps in the upper 80's, lower 90's. It's quite noticeable when the lows at night do not drop below 65 and at observation, temps are in the low 70's for consecutive days. HOT & HUMID. You know the days I speak of... when the wind is light during the day and there is hope the winds will persist through the night to cool off the house but then at sunset the winds die completely and make it sticky as sh@t. :)

    I will run J/J/A/S thru the data ringers and put something together to perhaps present our comfort levels... *shrug* Sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WxWatcher, 'nice and comfy' my foot. :) Yes, Wisconsin rocks ;), but we occasionally experience oppressively humid summer days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hm. That surprises me a little...I would have thought your summers would be quite nice.

    OSNW3, I would enjoy reading some data on your comfort levels!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have some t-storms popping up today. Maybe one will roll through.

    WxWatcher, I started gathering data last night... but, had to stop as I only let myself play on the computer for as long as my battery can output. :) I hope to have something comprehensible for my next entry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. btw...did you get those storms? I read on the WGN Weather Center Blog that there were some impressively tall storms around the Chicago area.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WxWatcher, yes, we got the t-storms. Lightning and thunder was prevalent. The main downpours stayed away from my backyard however... with stations a couple miles to the north , south, and west getting at least a 1/4" more rainfall.

    I enjoy reading the WGN blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment