Goodbye May, Hello June!

After the above average temperatures and dry conditions of two weeks ago, this past week was just the opposite. Temperatures dropped below average and the rains came. The maximum temperature for the 24 hour period ending on May 28 never broke the 60° mark, topping out at 53.4°. There were four days in a row where we measured accumulating precipitation here at OSNW3. Two of those days were at or above three tenths of an inch. A thunderstorm rumbled through as well on May 30 during the late morning hours creating a 15 minute rain delay as we made the turn at Lakeshore.

Overall May of 2009 was below average... in temperature (2nd straight year) and precipitation (3rd straight year). Also, May of 2009 was cloudier than the previous two. Click here for the "Days With Sun" data. (OSNW3 May Observations)

(Temp Comparison 2008 / 2009 | May 1 - 31)
Max Avg: 65.5 / 66.9 / +1.4
Min Avg: 45.3 / 49.4 / +4.1



(May 2009 Precipitation | May 1 - 31)
2009 Monthly Total
Precip.. 2.39"
Snow.... 0.0"
Oshkosh Average
Precip.. 2.96"
Snow.... T"
Departure
Precip.. -0.57"
Snow.... -T"



----

OSNW3 Precipitation
Year to date, we here at OSNW3 are above the Oshkosh precipitation average (link). Comparing the past 3 years, 2009 is zeroing in on the middle road. I am anxious to find out what this June will bring as last year (June 2008) we had a record breaking month receiving 11.75" of precipitation.

(OSNW3 Precipitation Summary | 2007-2009)


Click here for the spreadsheet format.

----

Front Of House
Keeping up with the grass cutting count, I am up to three.

(FOH - May 31, 2009)

Comments

  1. ...I've stopped counting how many times I've cut the lawn. Maybe 8? We're into the once or twice a week mode right now, depending on how much precip we get that week. My task was more so to get the garden weeded. It had been neglected for way too long, and the beans were looking wimpy.

    Speaking of precip, great data graphs! I am always impressed at how you use excel to get those graphs. Even though May didn't get up to the average mark on rain, it looks like you're still running a slight surplus for the year. Your yard shows it too.

    May 28 was a cool and cloudy day for us, too. Fortunately for us we hit 70. I can't imagine a day below 60 at this point! I wonder what your soil temp is...is there data for that? Maybe a farm service website.

    What was the cause of your 11.75" total last June? We only had 4.66" that month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, WxWatcher. I appreciate your kind words on the graphs! We are above average, which is nice. I hope we stay on this middle of the road trend (compared to the past two years) as I'd rather not have June and July be dry. If that turns out to be the case, I am sure some significant heat will accompany the dryness.

    There is indeed data for the soil temperatures. Click this link and scroll to the very bottom. The closest county would be Brown. Green Bay is located in Brown county.

    (You can also get to this page from the OSNW3 home page by clicking on the "Wisconsin COOP Network" text under the page title)

    If you go back into the entry and click on the linked text (June 2008) it'll bring you to the daily observations. From there you'll see we had two days with over 3" and one day with over 1". If you click on the "daily weather description" for the radar loop you'll see on the 5"+ day we had some pink radar returns. Click here for photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It appears that you have passed me on the "lawn cut count." I will cut for the third time this week though.

    Our temperatures really bounced during the last days of May. The month was not charitable with rain (.88") though it did give is a 57°F difference between high and low temperatures. Our high of 91.7 was just a few days ago on the 30th, while the low 34.7 occurred on 1st.

    I can start comparing precipitation in mid-June. I joined CoCoHaHS last year mid-June when WA was added.

    Your graphs are stunning. They continue to drive me to create my own suite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Bob! I appreciate it. I am anxious for your ability to compare your data. Surprisingly, with you recording only 0.88" of precip this month, Nathan (Northern Wisconsin Weather) only recorded 0.62", which is only 19% of his average. Now that's dry!

    My month max was 82.6°, while my month min was 39.4° for a 43.2° difference. What strikes me is that WxWatcher recorded a lower month min (37°) than me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo OSNW3 on finding that soil temp data! I'll be sure to check that from time to time.

    Also, I didn't catch the fact that I hit a lower minimum temp than you. That is intriguing...

    I checked out the photos from your June deluge last year. You've got a lake in your back yard!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment