Mar 15, 2009

Winter Wane

This past week started out warm, then cooled, then warmed back up again. Typical March temperature swings. Precipitation was bountiful early on as well. As Winter slowly draws to an end, the warmth of the sun, the sloppiness of the snow melt, and the early morning chirping birds are giving me the itch. The Spring Itch. However, I am looking forward to a couple Spring snowfalls, don't get me wrong. I can't quit Winter cold turkey. (OSNW3 March Observations)

(Temp Comparison 2008 / 2009 | March 1 - 15)
Max temp: 32.8 / 33.1 / +0.3
Min temp: 15.4 / 16.5 / +1.1



(March 2009 Precipitation)
2009 Monthly Total
Precip.. 1.47"
Snow.... 6.6"
Oshkosh Average
Precip.. 2.18"
Snow.... 7.6"
Departure
Precip.. (0.71")
Snow.... (1.0")



----

Data Bounty!
About a year ago I inquired the NWS Green Bay Climate Program Leader, Roy Eckberg, about obtaining the Monthy Snowfall data for the Oshkosh COOP station, OKHW3. This past week I inquired about a few certain years Daily Snowfall data... and he delivered once again, giving me the temperature and precipitation data for Oshkosh since 1893! Currently I am like a kid in a candy store. To say the least... I have started a couple season ending projects. :)

Data in PDF
Oshkosh Daily
Oshkosh Monthly Snowfall

----

Winter Duration

With the latest forecast trend, it would seem Winter doesn't have many days left here at OSNW3. (Winter History - Season Duration)

(Winter Season Duration 2008-2009 through March 15)


----

Cloud Appreciation
These clouds greeted me as I stepped out the door on my way to the grill.

(Looking Southeast - Mar 15, 2009)


(Looking South - Mar 15, 2009)


----

Front Of House
Winter is on the wane.

(FOH - Mar 15, 2009)