Winter Wane

This past week started out warm, then cooled, then warmed back up again. Typical March temperature swings. Precipitation was bountiful early on as well. As Winter slowly draws to an end, the warmth of the sun, the sloppiness of the snow melt, and the early morning chirping birds are giving me the itch. The Spring Itch. However, I am looking forward to a couple Spring snowfalls, don't get me wrong. I can't quit Winter cold turkey. (OSNW3 March Observations)

(Temp Comparison 2008 / 2009 | March 1 - 15)
Max temp: 32.8 / 33.1 / +0.3
Min temp: 15.4 / 16.5 / +1.1



(March 2009 Precipitation)
2009 Monthly Total
Precip.. 1.47"
Snow.... 6.6"
Oshkosh Average
Precip.. 2.18"
Snow.... 7.6"
Departure
Precip.. (0.71")
Snow.... (1.0")



----

Data Bounty!
About a year ago I inquired the NWS Green Bay Climate Program Leader, Roy Eckberg, about obtaining the Monthy Snowfall data for the Oshkosh COOP station, OKHW3. This past week I inquired about a few certain years Daily Snowfall data... and he delivered once again, giving me the temperature and precipitation data for Oshkosh since 1893! Currently I am like a kid in a candy store. To say the least... I have started a couple season ending projects. :)

Data in PDF
Oshkosh Daily
Oshkosh Monthly Snowfall

----

Winter Duration

With the latest forecast trend, it would seem Winter doesn't have many days left here at OSNW3. (Winter History - Season Duration)

(Winter Season Duration 2008-2009 through March 15)


----

Cloud Appreciation
These clouds greeted me as I stepped out the door on my way to the grill.

(Looking Southeast - Mar 15, 2009)


(Looking South - Mar 15, 2009)


----

Front Of House
Winter is on the wane.

(FOH - Mar 15, 2009)

Comments

  1. So is that photo taking on the north side of your house? where is mostly shaded? It actually looks like there is more snow there, then there is here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Derek, you are correct sir. A couple entries ago I actually talked about my block and the N vs S snow battle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh! there must actually be more snow there then? how often does that happen? could Lake Winneabago (sorry if spelled wrong) effect your tempetures some? I know here at my house I'm on a praire with no lakes nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. D, it does affect temperatures when it's not frozen, but very locally. Local, like a couple hundred feet.

    The fact that the N facing yards have snow yet is due to the sun not hitting them directly throughout the Winter.

    I measured 63.4" this season so far, and if you take a look at the OSNW3 webcam, you'll notice there isn't much more than a Trace remaining.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you guys have as much or less snow than we do here in Eastern Washington. We had .4 of an inch on Pi day and it was snowing and stopping, snowing and stopping. Sunday was slushy precip making things muddy where the snow melted. Today it was icy where it was muddy and we still have 6 inches or more of crusty snow that needs to melt. I am looking forward to warm days; those little chirping birds are giving me the itch too. Once it gets nice out, I'll have the ticks and rattlesnakes to deal with. Why do I live here? Its nice to have a moose or two running in the yard. That must be it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the photo comments! I did enjoy myself down at the beach this past Saturday, it was so nice, actually smelt like Spring. I'm hoping for some rain this weekend and not any frozen precip, but it is March, so anything could happen. Temperatures here in Duluth range from around 55 degrees up over the hill, to between 36-45 degrees below the hill..Closer to Lake Superior

    ReplyDelete
  7. D, I need to omit "when it's not frozen" from my comment back to you. As I drove home from work along the lake this evening the lake created a noticeable difference in temperature. I will keep in "locally" though, because it is very local. :)

    BettyAnne, sounds like we experience some of the same things this time of year, except for the rattlesnakes and moose of course. A lot of snow melted today as max temps were in the middle 50's in my backyard.

    Timothy, since tomorrow is forecast to be in the middle 60's I'll bring a thermometer along with me and document the temp in my parking lot and then again along the lake. My office to the lake is less then 3 miles. map

    ReplyDelete
  8. OSNW3,
    Is that GRASS I see in your front yard?? You probably haven't seen that for quite some time now. It's cool that you posted the cirrus cloud pics from Sunday. I was admiring them here in MO all day as well. It looked just like your pics.

    Spring is ramping up down here in a hurry. Our soil temperature is already up to 50°, I've got my garden tilled up, and the peas are going in the ground this afternoon.

    Enjoy the warm temps today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WxWatcher, yes that is grass in my front yard! Of course we've got grass in the backyard, but any grass around there is not worth stepping on. Wet and muddy... sloppy. I haven't felt warm air and viewed cirrus clouds from my backyard in quite a while so I was compelled to snap a few shots! Awesome about your garden... we do not plant until Memorial Day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, great photos of the clouds.

    It's been too long since 60 to 70 degree temps have been observed. I actually......like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Scout, thanks man! Yes, it was warm today. Almost too warm for my chook. (It takes me a while into Spring to lose the Winter hat)

    ----

    My little Lake temperature experiment didn't pan out the way I would have liked today. I didn't get as much time to take the obs and my thermometer was some low grade digital... but I did hold it out the window as I drove back to Oshkosh. I witnessed a 4 degree drop from my office to the lake side and then 3 degree rise when I got further away from the lake. 72-68-71. Granted the thermometer I used was one that didn't update very often and who knows how accurate it is. I have plan on how to actually accomplish what I set out to do today the next time the opportunity arises. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry I did not get back you earlier getting busy with all the snow gone. I thought there might be a bit of a temp difference between the locations right on shore to the locations inland, it sounds like you proved it somewhat!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment