Pen Pals - Mar 2, 2009

Mar 2, 2009 proved to be an active day around certain parts of the US. With close friends living in the areas affected, they kindly shared their photos and experiences with us. We start in Milwaukee, WI where Lake Effect snow blanketed the area with 14.2" at the airport. Out East we venture to Arlington, VA. Then to New York City in Manhattan and Brooklyn.

----

Milwaukee, WI
Report as of 10am on Mar 2, 2009
"We have over a foot, beautiful!"


(Photos submitted by Tracy Grindatti)

More info on the snow from the National Weather Service - Milwaukee, here. The OSNW3 radar loop here.

----

Arlington, VA
Report as of 10am on Mar 2, 2009
"Yeah so we got anywhere between 4 and 7 inches since last night. It has stopped snowing at the moment and the sun has come out so I'd assume its near the end. There's a lot of blowing and drifting still occurring but for the most part this storm has been a lot of hype and no substance. They canceled all of the schools last night before the storm even started. The federal government is on a two hour delay today, or people can take off but they have to use vacation time. I, of course, have to come in because I'm from Wisconsin and everyone expects me to be here. No big deal. The news last night was telling everyone to go stock up on bread, milk, batteries, and those sorts of things. Its actually quite comical the way they handle things. Only one of my employees showed up for work today. People don't cope well with the white stuff out East."






(Photos submitted by Matt Bolssen)

Manhattan, NY
Report as of 11am on Mar 2, 2009
"We only got 7 inches near Central Park."


(Photos submitted by Scott Quimby)

Brooklyn, NY
After the storm








(Photos submitted by Guy Oliveri)

More info on the snow from the National Weather Service in NY and MD, here, and here. OSNW3 US radar loop here.

----

It also snowed down South. Other blogs featuring photos of the southern snow are Dewdrop and the WGN Weather Center (scroll down for the southern snow).

Comments

  1. Very cool. A lot of great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate that you read my weather blogs, thank you! It has been very cold up in NE MN/NW WI the last few days, many Mornings have had lows anywhere from 10 below to as low as 35 below around my area. Glad you found the info. you were looking for in regards to the local weather info. off usaweather, I posted my first AFD/PLF on usaweather Today for the Duluth Forecast area..It's definately a new challenge for me, but i'm up for it. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scout, I agree... they did a find job!

    Timothy, I look forward to using usaweather as another forecast source. I thought your AFD today was great, too bad it's not my area because it's thorough and chalked full of info. I reached out to my area usaweather forecasters via a general inquiry in hopes that if they'd need some spotter obs or recent climate data... I could volunteer my efforts. :) We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have two huge interests...Lake Superior and the weather. I don't have a room dedicated to the lake, but I have a huge poster of the lake that I had framed and it hangs in my home office. I hope to retire someday in the UP. Hopefully I can also have a Colorado home. They are my 2 favorite places. But I think if it came down to it, I'd choose the UP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris, I've had similar thoughts for retirement. I've also had thoughts of purchasing a second home in MQT. However, right now I only get scoffs from the wife when I talk (dream) about the second home. :)

    Weather and Lake Superior go hand in hand in my opinion. I'll be in Marquette on May 14, golfing (cheap at a great course, Greywalls). I know, it seems weird. I can imagine there will be snow in the woods still...

    I've never been to CO, yet. I gotta get there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OSNW3, I just downloaded the software for those weather maps. WOW, it's absolutely AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scout, I started documenting the maps. I began in Nov 1885. Before I get to far I am going to consult the NWS MKE to find out if they already have the daily climate data for those years accessible. That way we don't have to go through each day on our own, we'd know which days to look at to determine if the snow fell from a Clipper, etc.

    Maybe the NWS already has that info too. Who knows. All I know is that surfing thru those olden weather maps is AWESOME. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment