March Madness

This past week brought drenching rains and accumulating snows. Temperatures swung up and down as one would expect for late March. March is currently 162% of average for precipitation and 118% of average for snowfall. An exciting week is in store once again for the upper Midwest. Looking forward to it.
(OSNW3 March Observations)

(Temp Comparison 2008 / 2009 | March 1 - 29)
Max temp: 35.5 / 39.6 / +4.1
Min temp: 20.8 / 22.8 / +2.0



(March 2009 Precipitation | March 1 - 29)
2009 Monthly Total
Precip.. 3.53"
Snow.... 9.0"
Oshkosh Average
Precip.. 2.18"
Snow.... 7.6"
Departure
Precip.. +1.35
Snow.... +1.4"



----

Late March Flooding
The 48 hours ending Mar 25 brought some decent rains. A two day total of 1.82". The rain fell quick and with the ground not completely thawed, some minor flooding occurred. The water crept into our basement, but nothing unusual after a heavy rain like this.

(OSNW3 Flooding - Mar 25, 2009)


----

Snowfall Mar 28-29
A Winter Weather Advisory was in effect for the evening of Mar 28 and overnight into the early daytime hours of Mar 29.

(0.3" measured @ 9:00pm on Mar 28 - Storm Total 0.3")


(0.8" measured @ 11:51pm on Mar 28 - Storm Total 1.1")


(0.3" measured @ 6:41am on Mar 29 - Storm Total 1.4")


(0.7" measured @ 9:32am on Mar 29 - Storm Total 2.1")


The snow stopped falling minutes after the last observation.
(radar loop)

----

Around Oshkosh - Miller Bay
I went on a bike ride down to the lake on Mar 28 and Mar 29. Grabbed a panoramic of Miller Bay before and after the storm.

(Miller Bay - Mar 28, 2009)


(Miller Bay - Mar 29, 2009)


----

Front Of House
A Spring snowfall greeting.

(FOH - Mar 29, 2009)

Comments

  1. Fantastic panoramic view of Miller Bay before and after!!!

    I'm glad you got some snow from the last system... though I'm sure both you and I wish you would've gotten quite a bit more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, N! My left ear is suffering a little from the pesky NE wind I rode thru on Saturday. It penetrated through my chook and onto my ear drum. :)

    I am glad too. I have a friend who is a meteorologist in GB, Rebecca Schuld - WFRV, and we make friendly bets here and there. I won this one. I guessed 2" she guessed 4". hehe. :)

    Looking forward to following these next storms with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I am just "plugging" away in this entry's comment section, I might as well direct you to another blog I read. The ODDIOFILE Blog. A fun weather related read with his latest entry. Checking out the tunes that go along with it would behoove you as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's a lot of water in your yard! You're lucky you don't have bad basement problems. With our clay soil, one is cursed if their house has a basement.

    Awesome idea for the panoramic of the bay! I thought we both would get more out of the storm than we did, but it was nice to see the snow falling once more...maybe.

    I just checked out your forecast for the week, it looks just like the kind of active week we would have in February...rain, snow, rain mixed with snow...sleet...basically anything but hail.

    Enjoy the active weather! Won't be long until summer gets here and we'll be praying for even a trace to report! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the panoramic before/after! I think the graph of March temp comparisons is great too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ami, thanks for checking out the blog! I appreciate your kind words and I am glad you like the content!

    Now, get that gauge up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL I plan on getting it up this weekend. There should still be enough spring rains for me to measure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you for that info. I was pretty young back then...lol 8 years old...But, I do remember how warm it was here in Duluth during the month of March and early April...There was no snow on the ground and I remember going to the park with my brother in just shorts in March-talk about crazy weather! If I remember correctly, I think 1986 was a drought year? Or perhaps that was 1988? Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Timothy, it's awesome that you can remember that! I can't remember 1986 personally. I do remember hot dry Summers during Little League. I would have been 10 in 1986... it could have been then... I'm going to investigate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I am Mia from London and wacthed on tv about the Northen Light! It was so amazing!!!! Have you seen it?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment