Winter's Return

It was an active week to our most recent standards. Roller coaster temperatures and two bouts with snow. Enough to bring our monthly snowfall total over the average. My wife Alicia joined in the action as she held down the obs over the weekend when the majority of the snow fell on Saturday, Feb 21. Thanks Alicia!
(OSNW3 February Observations)

(Temp Comparison 2009 / 2009 | Feb 1 - 22)
Max temp: 23.9 / 32.5 / +8.6
Min temp: 9.5 / 15.5 / +6.1



(February 2009 Precipitation)
2009 Monthly Total
Precip.. 0.86"
Snow.... 7.7"
Oshkosh Average
Precip.. 1.09"
Snow.... 7.2"
Departure
Precip.. (0.23")
Snow.... 0.5"



----

Snowfall
The NWS predicted a 4-7" snowfall for Feb 18, we received only 2.1". For the system that rolled through on Feb 21 a 1-3" snowfall was forecast, we received 4.0".

Snowfall Feb 18 (radar loop / daily video)
(1.2" measured @ 1:55am on Feb 18)(video)


(0.7" measured @ 6:40am on Feb 18)


(Looking East @ 8am on Feb 18)


Another 0.2" fell after the above obs, bringing the total to 2.1"

Snowfall Feb 21-22 (radar loop / daily video)
(1.5" measured @ 8:24am on Feb 21)


(2.5" measured @ 9:01am on Feb 22 - Total 4.0")


----

Marquette, MI - Feb 20-22
The annual trip to MQT for the UP200 did not disappoint in 2009. Lake Superior was frozen over but it was made up for by the 6" of snow that fell during our time there. Most of it from LES overnight on Feb 21. Winds were light with seasonable temperatures. However, as the snow stopped for a time in MQT early on Feb 22 a large LES band continued to extend southeast from the lake to Rapid River. We were inside the heavy LES (radar) for 20 minutes on our return home. It was the most intense snow driving I've experienced since the last LES band I drove through. The photos below are some highlights from each day. More photos are located here.

(Washington Street - Feb 20)


(Litte Presque - Feb 21)


(Lower Harbor - Feb 22)


As Chris (CoCoRaHS Blog) stated in a recent entry, the NWS Marquette broke the 200" mark this season. There's more on that story here, and for more snow data on areas around Marquette check out the CoCoRaHS data by clicking here. I can attest, there is a lot of snow on the ground in and around Marquette, MI. It's exciting.

----

Front Of House
Winter has made a return for now!

(FOH - Feb 22, 2009)

Comments

  1. Glad you had a good time in MQT. With all the buzz of that town, I told my wife that we need to put that on our list of places to visit sometime. I have always wanted to venture up to the UP at least once in my life.

    You got some good snow on the ground while you were gone. I wish we could see something like that at least once before spring arrives. We have had some good March snows (like the impressive banding last year), but by this time I am getting geared up for warmer weather and planning out this year's vegetable garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WxWatcher, I agree you should venture north to the UP! The city of Marquette is the largest in the Upper Peninsula with a population of around 20k. It's a fairly hip town for the average tourist. Lots of up scale joints. However, I like to get down a bit more local. Each visit gets increasingly interesting due to my buddy, whom we call the "mayor", and places he "guides" us to. He was raised at the Huron Mountain Club and knows the area extremely well. We tend to hang out at places where he won't be "noticed". It's hilarious.

    This weekend I recall him talking about something going on this Spring. The function takes place in June. June to them, is Spring. Also, I overhead a local talking about how he's had to snow blow his driveway for the 11th time this Winter and how it's been "one heck of a Winter".

    I am happy my wife dedicated some of her busy schedule to take on the task of doing the obs in such a fashion as I do. Some friends of our drove up from Lake Mills, WI on Saturday and it took them 4 hours when it usually takes just short of 2. Some places south of here got twice as much as Oshkosh. I see that Scout and Derek are talking about a storm approaching... that would be sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVED the pictures from Marquette. I am going to send that link to my grandma. She will sit and look at those pictures from hours. She is 83 and all about the internet. It looks like you went out to the island. MQT is truly one of my favorite places on Earth. Such a quaint and beautiful city.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris, I am happy you enjoyed them. Lots of randomness in my "photography". I hope your Grandmother enjoys them as well. Personally, I enjoy comparing photos of the same area from different years... not often does one area look the same.

    It's been a while since I've been up there in a non Winter month. That needs to change. I have to get my daughter up there asap!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment