Record Warmth

This past week harbored six more days with above freezing max temperatures. Making it eight total days, in a row, that temperatures rose above the 32° mark. February broke an OSNW3 daily max temperature record during the day on Feb 10. Precipitation was light this week, but we did see little over an inch of snow fall during the overnight on Feb 13 and 14. Looking forward to Winters return this up coming week. Keep an eye on the forecast by visiting blogs by Derek, Dirk (Northwest WI) and Scout (Southeast WI).
(OSNW3 February Observations)

(Temp Comparison 2009 / 2009 | Feb 1 - 15)
Max temp: 25.3 / 34.1 / +8.8
Min temp: 11.6 / 17.2 / +5.6



(February 2009 Precipitation)
2009 Monthly Total
Precip.. 0.25"
Snow.... 1.6"
Oshkosh Average
Precip.. 1.09"
Snow.... 7.2"
Departure
Precip.. (0.84")
Snow.... (5.6")



----

Snowfall
Our first snowfall since Feb 3! The forecast for the overnight on Feb 13-14 called for a 30% chance of snow. To my happiness they were way off. Seeing snow fall and accumulate is a wonderful site. It had been quite a while. We received 1.3" total from the snowfall. It isn't much, but...

Snowfall Feb 13-14 (radar loop)
(1.2" measured @ 6:20am on Feb 14)


Another 0.1" more fell following the above observation.

----

Snowdepth Update
Starting the week off we had 5" on the ground. With the unseasonable warm temperatures and liquid precipitation our snowpack by the end of the week only measured to a Trace. Below is a graph representing monthly average snowdepths here at OSNW3 dating back to 2006. Click here for the data.

(OSNW3 Monthly Snowdepth Average)


----

Winds Bring Record Warmth
An upper level low that was racing away to our north brought strong southwest winds on Feb 10. Record warmth came with it. 48.7° here at OSNW3, 50's in other areas around the region. In Sheboygan, around the late noon hour, the temp was 51.1° with winds sustained at 25mph and gusts up to 40mph. (historical data from wunderground) I was out and about on the lakeshore of Lake Michigan and had time to snap a few photos and videos. It was quite windy with some pretty decent wave action.

(Lake Michigan, Sheboygan, WI - Feb 10, 2009)


----

Front Of House
The front of the house still has an average snowdepth of 6.3" (4,6,6,7,7,8). As you can tell from the image below the north side of the road has no snowpack but the south side does. The Winter sun rarely reaches the south side (my side) as it is constantly beating down on areas across the street. At least half the property still looks like Winter. (The snowdepth measurements were taken in an area of the yard that didn't receive any "moved snow" piled in with it)

(Looking West - Feb 14, 2009)


(FOH - Feb 14, 2009)

Comments

  1. Boy, what a difference a year makes. It looks like you hit -10° on Feb. 10 last year, then had a record high one year later. Sounds like Missouri weather.

    Hope you get some good precip this week, looks like you're running a bit dry for the year so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WxWatcher, I know right?! Definitely something that would describe MO weather. That is one thing my wife enjoys about WI, the infrequency (compared to MO) of large temperature swings.

    Agreed. We are dry thus far in 2009. I'd like a nice whopper of a snow storm... just before our trip to MQT this weekend would make it even more fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting you mention the different rules of safety up north... we don't have that concern often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. of course, we skipped over snow measurement in our official CoCoRaHS training too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SOOOO jealous that you will be in Marquette! I hopefully will be up there in May. One of my favorite places on earth! If you are in the town itself, and you go just slightly north of Washington Street to 3rd and Hewitt there is a funeral home parking lot. That used to be my grandma's childhood home. All the other houses and the school on the street are still in tact as they essentially were in the 1920s and 30s.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to look into the wave height forecast for the Marquette area this weekend, one thing for sure...Your going to see lots of snow..lol.. Marquette is nearing 200" for the season already! Total snow insanity-lol.. Thanks for checking out my blog and glad it's easy to follow and understand.. One thing I don't wanna do is make it difficult for people to read, so I try to avoid that.. thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  7. Timothy, I lived in Marquette for one full school year. My freshman year at NMU. 95-96. That year 260" or so fell. It was by far, being born and raised in Green Bay, the most snow I had ever seen in one Winter. I just checked out the Hourly Forecast from the NWS for Marquette and it seems the winds will be letting up... sadly.

    Chris, we'll be staying at the Landmark. I know exactly where 3rd and Hewitt intersect. I'll probably be in an eatery or pub near there. ;) A friend of mine's parents used to live in a green house across the street from that school when they taught at NMU. SWEET!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree we had kinda dry Feb, But I've been watching the models which shows us getting active. OSNW3 I had no Idea you were raised in Green Bay . I myself was born in Eau Claire and I was raised here in Clayton southeast polk county. I was born on March 8th, so I'm heading for my 18th birthday, enjoy your trip to Upper Michigan! there are a lot of cedar trees up there!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment