Invasive Warmth

It's been over a month since I've felt 40° plus temperatures. Seems I had forgotten how nice it actually feels. As much as I hated to watch the snow melt, I celebrated by being outdoors without feeling that chill on my skin. This warm spell doesn't surprise me. I mean, with the sub zero temperatures earlier this season there is absolutely no reason why we couldn't experience the same thing on the opposite scale. I welcome the change as it will introduce some actual weather into our daily routines. As you would expect, temperatures roller coastered this past week, topping out at 45.9° on Feb 7 while bottoming out at 0.3° on Feb 4. We saw one day of precipitation. Snow fell on Feb 3 to the tune of a whopping 0.3".
(OSNW3 February Observations)

(Temp Comparison 2009 / 2009 | Feb 1 - 8)
Max temp: 29.7 / 30.0 / +0.3
Min temp: 20.5 / 9.5 / -11.0



(February 2009 Precipitation)
2009 Monthly Total
Precip.. 0.02"
Snow.... 0.3"
Oshkosh Average
Precip.. 1.09"
Snow.... 7.2"
Departure
Precip.. (1.07")
Snow.... (6.9")



----

Snowfall
Not much happening in the snowfall department this past week.

Snowfall Feb 3 (radar loop)
(0.3" measured @ 6:56am on Feb 3)


----

Cloud Appreciation
It's been a time since I've had anything worth while to post about appreciating clouds, but on Feb 4 during my travels to Sheboygan, WI, I got a good glimpse of the Lake Effect clouds over Lake Michigan. Winds were out of the north that morning and as the day progressed shifted to a more westerly wind. If you take a look at the southern tip of the Lake, in the linked radar loop, you'll notice the bands of LES maintaining their positions over portions of Indiana (radar loop). Follow this link to the WGN Weather Center Blog entry that displays some great photos of the event.

(Lake Effect Clouds - Sheboygan, WI - Feb 4, 2009)


----

Melting Snow
With the max temp reaching 45.9°F on Feb 7, it was fairly evident our snow pack was taking a hit. We were stationary at 9" of snowdepth for many days in a row prior. The morning of Feb 8 I measured 5" of snowdepth. With rain and more warm days forecast next week we could easily be down to a Trace come next Sunday. Click HERE for the OSNW3 Daily Movie from Feb 7. (OSNW3 Live!)

----

Winter 2008-2009
As of today, Feb 8, OSNW3 is in it's 61st day of Winter. Up to this point this Winter has shared many characteristics with last year. Such as, roller coaster temperatures, record monthly snows, and melt downs. Compare for yourself by visiting this page. Winter Season Duration

(Winter Season Duration 2008-2009 through Feb 8, 2009)


----

Front Of House
We're still holding on but could take a big hit this up coming week.

(FOH - Feb 8, 2009)

Comments

  1. I'll be watching your live camera this week to watch your snow cover disappear.

    Do you post movies on that live cam for each day? If not, it would be cool to watch a movie during one of these mild days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WxWatcher, each day a movie is generated, but I only post the "significant" ones. In this entry, I linked to the daily movie from Feb 7. You'll see the snow melt from the heating of the day and you'll see the thermometer bounce all of the place.

    Thanks for watching! I'll be doing the same thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, for some excellent webcam movies, just down the road from me, please check out Mike Davey's site. There is a link to his site "Northeast Oshkosh" on my Webcam page. At the bottom of the Webcam page you'll see a title for "Oshkosh Webcam Network". Click on "Northeast Oshkosh".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy, the snow is really going fast! I was surprised to see ground today...I thought it would take all week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WxWatcher. Yep, it's going fast! Today will make a good time lapse vid of the melting. I'll post it when I get a chance. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment