Snowstorm - Dec 8-9, 2008

The snow started falling around 3:30pm Dec 8. As the storm progressed I documented each measurement. Aftermath photos are located here. Watch the storm over it's entirety via the Storm Duration Video from OSNW3's webcam. (radar loop)

----
Measurements (5)
----

Dec 8, 2008 @ 9:00pm
Moderate snow with light winds. Flake size is small. No sleet.

1.8" - New Snow
1.8" - Total Storm Snow
Current Snow Depth - 7"





----

Dec 9, 2008 @ 1:45am
Moderate snow with significant blowing snow. Flake size is small. No sleet.

2.6" - New Snow
4.4" - Total Storm Snow
Current Snow Depth - 10"





----

Dec 9, 2008 @ 6:05am
Light snow with minor drifting. Flake size is medium. No sleet.

0.4" - New Snow
4.8" - Total Storm Snow
Current Snow Depth - 10"





----

Dec 9, 2008 @ 9:00am
Light snow and mainly calm. Flake size is medium. No sleet.

1.0" - New Snow
5.8" - Total Storm Snow
Current Snow Depth - 11"





----

Dec 9, 2008 @ 12:00pm
Snow ending, sun filtering through the clouds.

0.9" - New Snow
6.7" - Total Storm Snow
Current Snow Depth - 12"



Comments

  1. Nice report! over 5 inches! thats more then the 2.0 inches we got! and you have a snowpack of 11 inches wow! thanks for your updated report! I have a question it looks like you really know your stuff when it comes to snowpack measuring can you give me some pointers on how is the best way to do that? I just started the use of a snowboard this season! Hope you have some tips for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks D, it was fun. It'll be more fun to look back at this entry next year and reminisce.

    As far as measuring snowdepth goes, on the ground below the stationary green measuring stick is another snowboard the same size as the snowfall snowboard that you can see from the webcam. I take measurements from that and then I take more measurements around the gauge and then average them. For the NWS we are instructed to round to the nearest whole number. Currently I have spots measuring 11", 12" and even 13". My average came out to twelve from my last observation at Noon. The reason for the snowdepth snowboard, as I understand it, is for the measuring stick to not penetrate the grass or ground possibly inflating the reading. When the snow is blowing, or during a snowstorm like this one, I take more readings away from the snowdepth snowboard to get a more accurate account.

    Does that make any sense? :)

    Ok, off to Wovel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes thank you for your tips! I will remember this when I'm out measuring next time! Enjoy shoveling! looks like even more snow in our forecast.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment